•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Fill hose not venting

mankray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey guys,

I just bought my B2 and someone else put a plastic tank on it. I don't think they did it right because when I fill up, I have to go slow, otherwise fuel will foam up and spray back at me. Is there a vent built into the fill hose or on the tank I need to check for clogs/kinks?

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
There's no actual vent in the metal tank, I'm not sure about the plastic ones. Other than the in/out line, and the vacuum fitting. However, at the fill point there are vent holes where air can escape back up the fill tube and out. They're should be two or three of them, look around the main fill hole, and you can see them. I'd make sure they're free of obstructions.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Mankray,
Actually there is a vent. Its a plastic bung on top of the tank and has a rubber vent line that attaches to the frame via a small metal clip. If the plastic tank does not have that then yes indeed you'll have this issue. Most parts stores should have something that will work if you need to install one. Only real hassles are pumping out the tank and dropping it... Good thing about plasstic tanks is no psarks when you drill into it. Good luck!

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Mankray,
Actually there is a vent. Its a plastic bung on top of the tank and has a rubber vent line that attaches to the frame via a small metal clip. If the plastic tank does not have that then yes indeed you'll have this issue. Most parts stores should have something that will work if you need to install one. Only real hassles are pumping out the tank and dropping it... Good thing about plasstic tanks is no psarks when you drill into it. Good luck!
I thought that was a vacuum emissions related piece. Good to know!

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Slight correction to my last post. You are indeed correct that the top line is an emissions part and it goes to the carbon canister but it is also the vent for the tank, and its plastic, not rubber. Sorry about my lack of detail, oh and of course it does not terminate on the frame. I KNOW all this because on my relocation from Alaska to Texas I lost the tail pipe in the Yukon and that caused the exhaust to vent directly on top of the tank. Not good! I did not discover this happening until I got in warmer/lower elevations and had to figure out why I had a venting issue as I was smelling raw gas. Turns out the tank was being over pressurized and venting around the cap as the pressure could not be vented via the carbon canister. I had to fill my gas can and then fill the truck as the back pressure would not let the pump run.... I lost the brand new in tank pump before I could get the exhaust fixed...... Hope yours is now fixed!

Last edited:

mankray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
TexiCali,

From my understanding, the Bung on top is not a free-flow vent, but rather a pressure release valve, to allow pressurized tanks to vent when their temperature increases. If it is supposed to be low pressure enough to vent while I'm filling up, I'll definitely replace it.

Thanks for your help!

dispatchrobb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Is it a filler neck that has two hoses attached? Sometimes the inner hose, that the fuel actually goes through, is off and has slid down into the tank, causing very slow fuel fills. Just a thought.

rusty7983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
at some gas station I can fill faster than others. The fill tube is shaped poorly, thats why if you fill it a little slower it will probably work for you.