•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

finally chopped it

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I've always been toying around with the idea to chop the top off my bronco and well, I finally did it. I still have alot of work to do but I love the way its turned out so far.

After I took the top off I used it to cap the ends above the tail lights. I've never tried to weld this thin of metal and its a HUGE pain in the butt.

The plan is for now to put a 4 point cage in the back for now and either put on a ranger tail gate or make one up. I'm also going to do something with a soft top snap riveted on. :icon_bounceblue:

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I'm seriously crying right now......

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
looks good man, i wanna do it, but it's too damn cold in the winter. plus, our garage is too short for me to keep it in.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
LMAO, Guys realy? Good job on the chop top man, are you going to soft top it?
A guy that lives near me used his leftover top, caped it, and made it a bolt on for winter.
It was sweet.

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
thanks man. im not worried about what people on here say or I wouldnt post stuff. Yea, im going to make it a soft top. Give it more of an early bronco feel. I guess if I wanted a early bronco I should have got one...

lethal-threat-b288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
lol yea i wish our tops came off like the bitches on girls gone wild

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
LOVE IT!!!! Now that I have another truck (94 Dodge dually) I will cut my top off one of these days. I really think Ford missed the boat on this one. Could you image if they would have build the BII with a removable top the full size Bronco??? They made the Ranger to look like the F150. The BII looks like it but no fiberglass removable top.

Steve

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Not my cup of tea unless you do a nice soft top, but to each his own. At least it clean looking.

RICO9

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Title says 84.
Vehicle
Furd
Engine Size
2.8L w/ Chevy TBI.
put on a ranger tail gate or make one up. :
you can cut and use the hatch as a tailgate. it will just pop on and off.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I've always been toying around with the idea to chop the top off my bronco and well, I finally did it. I still have alot of work to do but I love the way its turned out so far.

After I took the top off I used it to cap the ends above the tail lights. I've never tried to weld this thin of metal and its a HUGE pain in the butt.

The plan is for now to put a 4 point cage in the back for now and either put on a ranger tail gate or make one up. I'm also going to do something with a soft top snap riveted on. :icon_bounceblue:
That looks nice. Good job with the back corners too. I am going to chop the top on mine eventually, but that wont be until it gets beat up offroad some, shes too clean right now. I was thinking about finding a boxy fiberglass ranger canopy, and cutting that to fit for a custom hardtop for the b2 once the roof is chopped.
you can cut and use the hatch as a tailgate. it will just pop on and off.

Have you thought about attaching big hinges on the bottom, to your bumper, and then getting the cables from a tailgate to hold it up? Looks like it probably wouldn't be that hard to figure out?
Either way, very clean looking. Nice reuse of the stock door. Your back window looks really cool too.

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i actually thought about using the old hatch as a tailgate but i think im going to find a ranger tailgate and make it work. I know i've seen plenty with that on there.

Id like to see one chopped with a torch. I bet its a bit messy. I used a grinder with some cutting wheels and it did a really good job. didnt take that long. the longest part was making sure I had a good straight line across the top. This is far from done, but when I am done with this project I hope it looks like it came from the factory that way.

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
hey man nice job. here is a pic of mine i got my bII given to me by my neighbor and i geuss before he gave it to me a tree fell on it or something but he took a saws-all to it so i still have work to do im going to put the ranger tailgate on also and cap the sides with diamond plate or something. he already put some bed rails where the windows were so it helps but i need alot of work. i am getting a custom tarp made for it with button snaps but for now a nice walmart special brown and silver tarp and some bunge cords haha

Attachments

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
^
lookin good tek