•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Flowmaster 40s or Thrush Welded?

Mr.Hotrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'm currently looking for a muffler in place of my stock one, i'm still going to use stock exhaust except i gutted both cats. Which one is louder? The Thrush Welded or the Flowmaster original 40 series? Which would sound better?

bumblebee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
well im not sure what motor u have and how it sounds with the cats gutted but my dad has a 40 series on his 5.3l chevy and it sounds really good i dont know how it would sound on ur rig but i would go into ur local muffler shop and have em cut ur muffler off and just connect the 40 series to both end of ur exhaust start it and see how u like it then do the same with the other muffler ur looking at and c what one u like better everyone has there own preffrence on sound of that they like u might not like what the other guy does but if it was me id use the 40 series hope this helps

clvanhorn

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
the 40 is quite a bit louder, but the thrush welded sounds better. my buddy runs the flow on his 2.9 ranger and yeah its pretty loud, but its ricy as hell, especially as the rev's climb. mine is really quiet at idle and cruising, but when its under load its the deepest sounding v6 i've ever heard, no joke.obviously its never going to sound like a small block, but in my opinion its as close as youre going to get.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Don't gut cats. It's illegal and you actually lose power unless the cat was clogged to begin with. The stock 4.0 cat has enough flow unless you get pretty wild with your engine build. When you gut a cat you lose a ton of exhaust velocity and increase turbulence.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
They are the exact same muffler design.

Mr.Hotrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have the 2.9. I'm an 18 year old guy and i have those young ears that just like loud exhaust. I heard thrush welded were same design. I heard one on a 2.9 with factory exhaust and it sounded pretty quiet... Although i think he still had his cats in place where mine are gutted, it came that way when i bought it.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
No point in spending the extra money on the flowmaster unless your after the name. The thrushes are plenty loud, especially with no cats, and will give you the flowmaster sound.

Mr.Hotrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'm not really after the name, i just want really loud exhaust with the chambered exhaust sound like a flowmaster. I was thinking of getting a 10 series but i probably might as well straight pipe it for way cheaper

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Straight pipes bring the gay on RBV's... seriously put a muff on that thing...

Mutant Pony

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I installed the Thrush Welded on a fullsize. Within a few weeks they started rattling on the inside. I bought another set and sent the first set back. They refused to warranty them. the second set started rattling about a month later. I put on a pair of Excelerator weldeds on, about $25 a piece, and they are still working good! No rattles! About nine months now.

Mr.Hotrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
How do they sound? I just love the backfiring sound on aftermarket mufflers when you let off the gas where it sounds like you're making popcorn, if that's what it's called...

Also what's an RBV?

bumblebee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
well mrhotrod ur the same type of guys as me atleast sound wise im 18yrs old and love loud exhaust they are the best in my opionin and i was talking to a guy i know that had his own exhaust shop at one time he was really good at exhaust work to. he told me the best way that i can get a good clean loud sound outa my truck is to put a flowmaster 40 series on it yes i know they are expensive but he said that they sound really good and like i said earlier my dad was one on his chevy and it sounds sick i would personally go with the 40 seirs right now i am running a 4.o and im going to take out on cat and put a 40 series on it it has a glass pack now but my exhaust guy told me to get rid of the glass pack and go with a 40 seriers

b2rich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
well mrhotrod ur the same type of guys as me atleast sound wise im 18yrs old and love loud exhaust they are the best in my opionin and i was talking to a guy i know that had his own exhaust shop at one time he was really good at exhaust work to. he told me the best way that i can get a good clean loud sound outa my truck is to put a flowmaster 40 series on it yes i know they are expensive but he said that they sound really good and like i said earlier my dad was one on his chevy and it sounds sick i would personally go with the 40 seirs right now i am running a 4.o and im going to take out on cat and put a 40 series on it it has a glass pack now but my exhaust guy told me to get rid of the glass pack and go with a 40 seriers
:icon_confused:

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Like I said before, don't take out your damn cat! THEY DON'T RESTRICT HORSEPOWER ANYMORE. That was back in the '70's that they robbed power. If you go for a whole new exhaust and have a built motor, yeah, you'll want a high flow cat. If not, the stock one flows really good - as long as it isn't clogged. Hell, I'd be willing to bet that a flowmaster is more restrictive with all those retarded chambers. They only flow a little better than a stock style muffler - they're designed for a tinny sound, not maximum horsepower. You want more power, look at your engine, not the exhaust. Damn kids.

1988dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1987
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4Cyl, 2.9 EFI V6
I am currently running the thrush welded on my 2.9 BII and I love the sound of it. its got a rumble in the lower rpms and in the higher rpms it sounds like a sports car! well at least thats what it sounds like in my head.. and I also piped it out the side in front of my tire. Plus its like the same design as the flows at half the cost! I say 100% go thrush.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ive had 3 thrushes, one of them is on my B2, my buddy has had one, they have all held up just fine.

Mr.Hotrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well beings that my cats are gutted, i guess it wouldn't hurt to try out a Thrush. If they are as loud and sound good as a flowmaster, i'd probaby end up buying thrushes for all my cars from now on, even my lawnmower.