•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Flowmaster 40s or Thrush Welded?

The Mud Addict

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO
I am running a Flow 40 on my B2 with a 2.8 and no cat, people ask me if it is a v-8 on the trail:icon_rofl:

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
I like my flowmaster 40 on my ranger and yea it does sound funny when it revs past say about 3500.....but it is a v6 they always sound funny higher rpm and exhaust. but it sounds good when driving around normally. and it is enough for people to know im there but not obnoxious....

Mr.Hotrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Just ordered the Flowmaster super 44 from jegs.com. I really really wanted the original 40 series, but they didn't have the muffler in my configuration since im just replacing stock muffler in stock place. I guess if i built my own exhaust i'd use center in/out 40 series and get a y-pipe and make 3" after the y pipe.

Last edited:

Beachbuggy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Don't gut cats. It's illegal and you actually lose power unless the cat was clogged to begin with. The stock 4.0 cat has enough flow unless you get pretty wild with your engine build. When you gut a cat you lose a ton of exhaust velocity and increase turbulence.
+1, my BII came to me with gutted cats and it's a dog. I'm shelling out the $$$ to put them back in.

Mr.Hotrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Are they supposed to be louder without the cats?

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
:icon_confused:
Let me help you with that...

well mrhotrod ur the same type of guys as me atleast sound wise im 18yrs old and love loud exhaust they are the best in my opionin and i was talking to a guy i know that had his own exhaust shop at one time he was really good at exhaust work to. he told me the best way that i can get a good clean loud sound outa my truck is to put a flowmaster 40 series on it yes i know they are expensive but he said that they sound really good and like i said earlier my dad was one on his chevy and it sounds sick i would personally go with the 40 seirs right now i am running a 4.o and im going to take out on cat and put a 40 series on it it has a glass pack now but my exhaust guy told me to get rid of the glass pack and go with a 40 seriers
Mr Hotrod, you're the same type of guy as me as far as sound goes. I'm 18 years of age and I love loud exhaust. Loud exhausts are awesome!

I was talking to the owner of an exhaust shop I know, and he told me the best was to get a good-clean sound out of my pickup is to install a Flowmaster 40 series. They are expensive, however they sound good. My father also has a 40 series on his Chevy and in my opinion it sounds sick!

If you were me, I would install a Flowmaster 40 series. I have the 4.0 in my pickup right now, and I plan to remove a cat and install a 40 series. It has a glasspack installed now, however my friend with the exhaust shop told me to remove the glasspack and install a Flowmaster 40 series.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Let me help you with that...

Mr Hotrod, you're the same type of guy as me as far as sound goes. I'm 18 years of age and I love loud exhaust. Loud exhausts are awesome!

I was talking to the owner of an exhaust shop I know, and he told me the best was to get a good-clean sound out of my pickup is to install a Flowmaster 40 series. They are expensive, however they sound good. My father also has a 40 series on his Chevy and in my opinion it sounds sick!

If you were me, I would install a Flowmaster 40 series. I have the 4.0 in my pickup right now, and I plan to remove a cat and install a 40 series. It has a glasspack installed now, however my friend with the exhaust shop told me to remove the glasspack and install a Flowmaster 40 series.
You guys and your flowmasters...

I have a flow on my ranger, and I have a thrush on my bronco. They sound exactly the same. The thrush is just a cheaper version of the overpriced flowmaster. If you want to drop more cash than necessary, buy a flowmaster. They are both chamber mufflers, and they both sound exactly the same. There is nothing special about a flowmaster, all you get is a lighter wallet, so if thats your thing, awesome.... Dont believe me, find out for yourself...