•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

flywheel resurfacing ?!!!

broncoworld

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
ok so I put a new clutch in my bronco ii 2.9 in july and I drove it for a few miles and it sat till now and when I started to drive it again I can now smell it a bit not too major when I am cruzing sometimes sometimes not but when I park it you can smell it from outside the vehicle so I called a mechanic and he said the flywheel should have been resurfaced when I put the new clutch in. just wondering if I should bother pulling the trans again to resurface it or if that is not the problem any help guys would be appreciated thanks

3rd Petal

Reaction score
Most of the time you can get away without getting it resurfaced. Unless your old clutch grenaded and gouged up the flywheel, the surface is probably still good enough. Did you bother to take a look at the flywheel before you bolted the new clutch to it?

I would take a look at your slave cylinder, and all your clutch linkage and stuff to make sure it isn't making the clutch drag.

Does the clutch petal feel normal and seem to work how it used to?

broncoworld

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Most of the time you can get away without getting it resurfaced. Unless your old clutch grenaded and gouged up the flywheel, the surface is probably still good enough. Did you bother to take a look at the flywheel before you bolted the new clutch to it?

I would take a look at your slave cylinder, and all your clutch linkage and stuff to make sure it isn't making the clutch drag.

Does the clutch petal feel normal and seem to work how it used to?
its a hydraulic clutch so theres no linkage but yes I have tried to bleed the clutch again to see if that would make a difference. I did look at the flywheel when I installed the new clutch (not very closly) but it didn't accur to me that should be done

3rd Petal

Reaction score
Ok, it should have stood out pretty well if the flywheel was in really bad shape. Everything looks good with the petal itself and with where it hangs under the dash?
If everything checks out, and it doesn't seem to be slipping, I might be tempted to just put a few more miles on it to see if it stops making the smell.

What killed the last clutch that was in there? Some sudden malfunction, or did it just plain wear out?

broncoworld

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ok, it should have stood out pretty well if the flywheel was in really bad shape. Everything looks good with the petal itself and with where it hangs under the dash?
If everything checks out, and it doesn't seem to be slipping, I might be tempted to just put a few more miles on it to see if it stops making the smell.

What killed the last clutch that was in there? Some sudden malfunction, or did it just plain wear out?
the last clutch was worn out when I bought it and then I put the new one in everything seems to be fine with the pedal and everything, the mechanic told me if I smelt it it was probably slipping but it doesn't feel like it it has a lot of power and go:D