•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Flywheel Ring Gear

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Ok so today my ring gear bit the dust and took my brand new $100 starter with it. So I ordered a new ring gear and am woundering if there is anything I should look for while I have the motor out ? I know that my front and rear main seals are leaking , And my oil pan gasket , So I am going to replace them. Just need to know if there is anything else to look for ?

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
**UPDATE** Ok so I got the motor out today and much to my suprise when i looked at the back of the heads I noticed sepage from the head gaskets on both sides. Is this normal ? Or is it somthing that I'm going to half to fix , Or can I just run it the way it is? All the gaskets are leaking but with little to no money I cant afford to rebuild the motor at this time , So what are my other choises? Also how do I stop the crank from turning so I can break free the flywheel bolts ? I'm running out of options and this my only means of getting around .

3rd Petal

Reaction score
A little seepage is probably acceptable for a while depending on how bad it really is. Got a pic?

And there are many ways to get the flywheel loose off the crank without it spinning. Impact gun would be the easiest, it will just shock them loose without spinning the crank.
Another option is to use a prybar between a tooth on the flywheel and something else close by to hold it in place.
Or if you have a large strap or chain wrench, you can wrap that around the flywheel to hold it still
Or if you have a friend, you can have them hold a wrench on the crank pulley bolt on the front of the motor while you take the flywheel off
Or you could try hitting the wrench you are using to take the flywheel bolts out with a hammer to "shock" them out like an impact gun does

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Thanks for the imfo. Well at this point the sepage looks light and no pictures.