•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

FM146 transmission leak at gear shift

colinrich76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
I have an 88 BII with the Mitsubishi FM146 transmission(5 speed manual). It's got a leak at the gear shift, but I'm having trouble finding replacement parts and I don't really want to get $250+ into a Hurst shifter. I was thinking about pulling the shifter, (only has a few T40 bolts) cleaning the area around it, and trying to seal it up with RTV. Any reason something like this wouldn't work?

There is no slop or anything in the shifter, so there isn't any need to replace the whole assembly from that perspective.

colinrich76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Updated fix

For anyone interested or experiencing a similar issue, I have fixed the leak at the gear shift. For the FM146 transmission, at the base of the shifter, there is a small rubber boot which stops the transmission fluid (gear oil) from seeping or bubbling out. Mine was shot and was causing a leak. For a quick fix, I was able to push the remaing piece of that boot all the way down (closest to the transmission) and that helped contain the fluid, but was definitely a short term solution. After ridiculous amounts of searching, I found a guy on ebay selling new old stock shifter assemblies for the fm146 for only $50. This is a complete shifter assembly, new bushings and everything. The part number is E8TZ-7210-P. The dude selling them had 4 or 5 left, so if you need one, type the part number in ebay and snag it! Installed mine in under 10 minutes, fixed the leak, and tightened up the shifting a bit.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Sounds like a good deal. That include the little ball? That seems to be a problem at times.

colinrich76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Yeah, it's everything minus the outer boot and the top shifter knob. I just reused mine since they are in good shape.