•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Ford 3g alternator partnumber to fit Bronco II 89

Elrie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
177CI
Hi all,

I own Bronco II for about a year. It is 1989 XLT fully mechanical.
Condition is not very good, but I'm trying to keep it functional and get better.
I read this site and therangerstation regularly and have already found a lot of usefull info here.

Few days ago got a fire under the hood - it was battery connector of the alternator. So as a result the alternator is burnt. As I understand this is not very rare case for Ford type 2g alternators, especially in case the car is old enough and not in good shape.

I've already found replacement 2g alternators partnumbers on RockAuto, but really do not want to go with same possible issues in future. And anyway "+" alternator harness needs to be replaced.

I found a lot of reports replacing 2g alternators with 3g. As I discovered it should be Ford type 3g alternator small case with off-set ear and V pulley.
But I'm not able to find any real partnumber of such type of alternators fitting to Bronco II.

Wreckyard is not the case for me as I'm on the other side of the globe from the US.

Could anybody help with appropriate alternator partnumber?

Thanks in advance!

BR,
Ivan

Elrie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
177CI
Result:

Ford E-150 early 90-s with 4.9 engine alternator fits with no modifications.
Exactly Ford 3 gen alternator small case off-set ear.

Voltage regulator plug identical.
Power connector has to be changed to normal bolt terminal (just join 2 main power wires from power distribution box to one terminal)
Last wire from original power connector must be changed to single connector. See picture.
Thread in tensioner ear is metric M8.

Cheap aftermarket codes are:
WAI 77553N
HC-Cargo 112923 (I used this one)

The pulley from original alternator should be used as new one comes with other pulley type.
There could be small issue with alternator shaft length, but not critical.
Threads on the shaft of old one and new one are also different.

So the right way is to use thin washer from old alternator + old pulley + nut from new alternator.

With such setup all pulleys and belt are exactly on one plate.

As a bonus new alternator has 95 ampere. So updated power fuses as well

Attachments

Last edited: