•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Ford Bronco II conversion suggestions

BroncoIIowner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Okay, folks. Just signed up, hoping I'm in the right place. The other day, I got my first car. This would be a 1988 Ford Bronco II XLT with a 5 speed manual tranny, 4X4. It only has a 2.9L V6 in it right now. I was curious, for future reference, if there is any bigger engine I can put in the Bronco II without ricing it out. I want to try and keep the truck decently original, and I don't want to feel like I'm ripping out the original life of the the truck itself. If anyone knows any way of helping me, please let me know. Thanks.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I'd use the search button, there are lots of 4.0l conversions around and probably more than one 5.0l.
Also check the tech library at the top in the blue header, third to the right.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.php
Good luck and keep us updated:icon_cheers:
Richard

BroncoIIowner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks, Richard. Which engine do you think would fit well in a Bronco II, though?

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I have a 4.0l in my '85 b-II. I bought it that way. It almost looks stock.Lots of nuts compared to 2.9. From my research the best way is to buy a donor vehicle, that way you have everything you need, including wiring harness and computer. In your case it may be plug and play with the right year donor.
I picked up a '91 low mileage exploder roll-over with a 4.0l with rebuilt manual 5 speed for C$500.00. Front [D-35]and rear [8.8] diffs are going into my '85 b-II along with the tranny. The motor is a spare for my '91 race truck. I may use the e-transfer case for a doubler in the future, but that needs more research.
:icon_cheers:
Richard