•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Frame swap

Quick draw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Howdy, did a search, couldn't come up with anything. Could be the lack of computer skills .
Question is is, I have an 84 b2, I have a 77 f150 running motor (351),c6 ,frame and all running gear.
All I read on v8 swaps is clearance issues and such. I'm going to cut frame down in length to fit under b2 body,slightly longer wheel base than stock,
Has any one on here done this?,
Just looking for advice, or heads up on issues I haven't thought of.
Or suggestion's

3rd Petal

Reaction score
You will have to shorten the wheelbase a bit to get close to the B2 wheelbase, either by sectioning a piece of frame out of the middle, then welding it back together with fish plates, or by moving the rear axle further forward on the frame and cutting the extra off the back. I'm sure you will have to make custom body mount brackets off the frame, I doubt the f-150 ones will line up with anything on the B2 body.
Also, a 351 is very hard to fit inside a B2 engine bay, so there will be a lot of tweaking and clearancing there to make it work.

Honestly, I've always seen body swaps as cheating, if it were mine I would rather swap the running gear from the f150 onto the B2 frame

Quick draw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Third petal

Cheating? I guess, all I have read is the problems getting things to fit on b2 frame, headers trany, ect. I figure the motor will be tight , hoping I won't have to get to creative with radiator and grill.
I have all this stuff laying around so what the heck use it.
I drive a big dodge dully to work and it's not needed for work, I have it to pull my race trailer and horse trailers. Racking up to many miles and it isn't good on mileage ,sucks the diesel down.
This will be fun and I miss a good sounding v8:)
We will se how it goes, I'll try to take a lot of Picts and process along the way.
I'll use it as daily driver,and I want the beefier frame so when I tow the 16' trailer it will handle it no problem, my new wheel base should be around 103"
Thanks for your advice, one of two people to reply on all the b2 forums.
And hey at least I'm keeping it all ford.....

3rd Petal

Reaction score
Haha, well maybe I'm just a sadist and prefer to everything the hard way.

I just thought of this too, if that F-150 is a '77, its probably a 351M, not a 351W, which is an even bigger engine in terms of physical size. So I'd do a good amount of measuring and figuring to make sure that thing will fit between the fenders and between the grille and firewall

Quick draw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Haha, well maybe I'm just a sadist and prefer to everything the hard way.

I just thought of this too, if that F-150 is a '77, its probably a 351M, not a 351W, which is an even bigger engine in terms of physical size. So I'd do a good amount of measuring and figuring to make sure that thing will fit between the fenders and between the grille and firewall
Oh ya sorry the motor is a w it is coming out of my 69 stang, not original equip.
But c6 did come I. This frame? I hadn't considered if the w will bolt up.???
If I remember right it came to me with a 400m and I put a 460 in it.
Crap I hope it will bolt up.
Hmmmm

3rd Petal

Reaction score
Ok, Windsor block is good. I'm not positive, but I think 351M used the big block bellhousing, so you might be screwed on the c6 bolting to it or not

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Well the 351-m , 400-m and 460 all take a big block bell housing so the 351-W
bellhousing will not work. I know this because I have tried to do it lol and well it was not even close to fitting . And the bellhousings are different in shape
also. Good luck on the swap. ( Top is a 400-m bottom is a 351-w )

Attachments

Quick draw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks wild horse, well I have a c4 on the 351 now, 2wd.
I think I can get a adapter for the bronco transfer case and put it on there, my np205 will have to be for somthing else.
Although I'm thinking now I may try to find an aod transmission for it.
As I plan to drive it daily and play a little.
Just having a hard time finding one. And I'm kinda looking for a 4X4 one with transfer case.

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Well glad I could help and good luck with finding the adapter !

Quick draw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Using c4 and adapter for transfer case out of b2 found a nice 302 supposed to have 350 hp with 500miles on it so moving forward.