•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

front end noise

storey618

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ive got an 86 b2 no lift, when im in 2h the front driveshaft is free and i can spin it by hand. when i do this the driver side half shaft spins but passengers does not...is that supposed to happen? if not could that be the culprit to my front end noise that only occurs when backing off inclines.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
No, that is supposed to happen. The wheel ends of the shaft and the transfer case may be disconnected, but the shaft is still connected to the guts of the diff. It's an open differential and so one side will spin, one side will stay still. Since the driver's side is shorter, and much lighter, it spins while the other side stays still. 100% normal operation.

Are your fenders crunched up at all? Mine had a noise only backing up with the wheel cut just so it would rub and make noise. You might have a similar situation.

storey618

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
that makes sense, thanks for the help and if thats not the case then it probably is rubbing that im hearing. im running 235's on a stock bronco that sags all the way around. hopefully when i put the new coils, shackles, and shocks in itll stop

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Hmm, I wouldn't think that any front drive components would spin when the 4WD is disengaged and the hubs are in free mode. If you have auto-locking hubs you may have a hub that is bad since it is still engaged while the other hub is not. Check your hubs and make sure they are good.

When the hubs are disengaged the front drive components should be in free mode and should not be turning at all.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Hmm, I wouldn't think that any front drive components would spin when the 4WD is disengaged and the hubs are in free mode. If you have auto-locking hubs you may have a hub that is bad since it is still engaged while the other hub is not. Check your hubs and make sure they are good.

When the hubs are disengaged the front drive components should be in free mode and should not be turning at all.
No, what he is saying is that in 2-hi with the hubs unlocked he grabs the front shaft and spins it with his hand and the driver's side axle shaft goes along for the ride. That is normal.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
No, what he is saying is that in 2-hi with the hubs unlocked he grabs the front shaft and spins it with his hand and the driver's side axle shaft goes along for the ride. That is normal.
Ahh I got it now LOL. This is what I get for trying to read while I'm tired.