•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Fuel Injector Questions

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
I am at 112,xxx miles now and have no history of the fuel injectors every being replaced on my 1990 BII. I have used several bottles of injector cleaner since July 2015 when I bought the BII with 103,xxx miles on it. I have noticed in the last several months the MPG seems to have gone down. The BII run great I believe. What are the chances of needing to have the fuel injectors replaced?

A: Do you think this would improve the MPG?

B: How hard of a project is this?

C: What is the labor time on this project?

Dennis

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
How bad is your mpg and what is you avg drive like?
I notice a drop in MPG in the cold. My last fill up I got 16.1 mpg. My average drive is usually a 10 - 20 mile cruise through some county roads with some short runs to the store mixed in. I've got 4.10 gears and P235 all terrain tires.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Jerry C

Most of my drives are in the 10-20 mile roundtrip range. I run 45-55 MPH most of the time on my drives into town which is 10 miles one-way. I think this last tank I got around 16.02 and I am usually get about 300 miles on 18 gal or so. I have a 3:73 LS gears and I am running 235/75/15's Goodyear Wrangler RT/S's right now because that is what was on the BII when I bought it. This summer I am going back to the 205/75/15's Firestones Destination AT's that it came with originally from the factory.

Dennis

Last edited:

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
They were rated 16/20 when new. Factor in ethanol in the gas, bigger tires and cold weather and I think we're both doing fine.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Jerry C

Do you think going back to the 205/75/15's will improve the MPG some? At least going back to the 205's should cut back on the road noise and bring the speedo back into line.

Dennis

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Based on experience I would say yes, but I don't know how much.
The smaller tires will raise your rpm/mile hurting mpg, but they should be lighter with a smaller contact patch (less rolling resistance) helping your mpg.
It will accelerate better meaning less throttle needed from stops.
Steering and braking effort should be less as well.

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I am at 112,xxx miles now and have no history of the fuel injectors every being replaced on my 1990 BII. I have used several bottles of injector cleaner since July 2015 when I bought the BII with 103,xxx miles on it. I have noticed in the last several months the MPG seems to have gone down. The BII run great I believe. What are the chances of needing to have the fuel injectors replaced?

A: Do you think this would improve the MPG?

B: How hard of a project is this?

C: What is the labor time on this project?

Dennis
On my 1988 Bronco 2.9 I rebuilt the original fuel injectors. They are fairly simple to rebuild, and the kit was only $20.00 for all 6.
I made up a way to pressure the injector with lacquer thinner, and a 9 volt battery to activate the coil to spray the lacquer thinner through to clean. You will also need a #8 screw and a bench vise to pull out the micro filter out of each injector. There are a couple of You Tube videos that show how to rebuild fuel injectors. I didn't keep track of the time it took.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
IIBroncos

Thanks

I think if I go this way I will just replace them. More in my skill level.

Dennis