•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Fuel issues continue...

bronco_d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Hello group. Coming back after a long time away. Just picked up a 1988 Bronco II. It needs a lot of work but I'm looking forward to bringing her back to life. The guy I bought it from said that it was running but needed fuel lines. Which I believe because the lines literally cracked apart. So time for the big question, where can I get replacement lines for this baby? Pics for attention.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Man... I would suggest you just rework the fuel system similar to what I did on my Bronco II.

It really only needs a high pressure pump and a fuel filter. These older trucks with a low pressure pump in the tank... with a reservoir... then a high pressure frame pump and then a filter... it's just a piss poor design and should be thrown away.

I've posted most of my mods in the what did you do to your Bronco today thread. But I will put a link to my build on the Ranger Station here in a minute.

It will give you some food for thought if nothing else.

If you just end up patching up what you have... just buy the nylon line and fittings and make new. It's far more simple then piecing things together.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I really need to put a build thread here... it's on the list with everything else I should do... lol.

You need any other info... I'm always willing to help if I can. The fuel system starts around page 15 I think.

bronco_d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I really need to put a build thread here... it's on the list with everything else I should do... lol.

You need any other info... I'm always willing to help if I can. The fuel system starts around page 15 I think.

Awesome! I was a little worried that these forums would be dead. Glad to see that there is still some love for the baby Bronco.

bronco_d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I saw your post. That's badass but I think that it's more than I want to get into right now. Is it OK to use non-road fuel line? Looks like that is what PO started to do. Or is nylon the preferred material?

bronco_d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Well, I'm back and as the updated title suggests.. my fuel issues continue. From the looks of things I'm not alone. So here's where I am. Items that I know are good or at least are new. Fuel tank, aLow pressure fuel pump (in tank), high pressure fuel pump, fuel pump relay, lines from tank to fuel filter, roughly same location for return line. Fuel pumps are both turning on but I'm not building pressure. If I remove the line on power side of high pressure fuel pump I get a little fuel dribbling out and nothing but air in the fuel rail. On the plus side, the motor cranks so yay! All thoughts are welcome and encouraged.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Just because you hear a fuel pump running doesn’t mean it’s pumping. I would suggest if you have no pressure then it’s not pumping.

bronco_d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
So how does one confirm that it is indeed pumping?

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Fuel pressure gauge. There is a port on the fuel rail that allows you to connect a gauge.

bronco_d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Will there be a pressure reading if the vehicle isn't running?

bronco_d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Well, think I might have just found my issue. Think I swapped the lines at the tank. Going to fix that and I'll report back. Probably under a different name so I can keep posting here. 😳

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Those lines should be different sizes... therefore not reversible.

bronco_d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Ya.. the problem is that the PO had already torn all the fuel lines out and had started some of this. I followed what he had but it was backwards.. i think. So.. I guess to check myself, I have fuel delivery coming from the tank to the high pressure fuel pump, to fuel filter to rail.. then from fuel pressure regulator straight to return at tank. Is that right?

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Ya.. the problem is that the PO had already torn all the fuel lines out and had started some of this. I followed what he had but it was backwards.. i think. So.. I guess to check myself, I have fuel delivery coming from the tank to the high pressure fuel pump, to fuel filter to rail.. then from fuel pressure regulator straight to return at tank. Is that right?
That sounds correct.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Will there be a pressure reading if the vehicle isn't running?
When the ignition key is turned to the run position the computer supplies a ground to the relay that turns on the pumps for a few seconds to pressurize the system. When the engine is started the computer supplies the same ground constantly to keep fuel flowing. Key on not running you should get about 40 lbs of pressure. Engine running, mid to upper 30’s.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Should be a fuel canister between in tank pump and high pressure pump.

It may have been removed?

Those canisters keep a supply of fuel at the high pressure pump.

If it's gone and low pressure pump doesn't work... it's starving the high pressure pump.

Take the line off from the high pressure pump that goes back to the tank. Ensure low pressure pump sends fuel to the high pressure pump.

bronco_d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
When the ignition key is turned to the run position the computer supplies a ground to the relay that turns on the pumps for a few seconds to pressurize the system. When the engine is started the computer supplies the same ground constantly to keep fuel flowing. Key on not running you should get about 40 lbs of pressure. Engine running, mid to upper 30’s.
Got it. I knew there would be sole pressure just 40psi. I will get a gauge and check it out. Unfortunately getting the lines connected problem did not resolve the issue. 😖

bronco_d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Should be a fuel canister between in tank pump and high pressure pump.

It may have been removed?

Those canisters keep a supply of fuel at the high pressure pump.

If it's gone and low pressure pump doesn't work... it's starving the high pressure pump.

Take the line off from the high pressure pump that goes back to the tank. Ensure low pressure pump sends fuel to the high pressure pump.
I'll check that out. There definitely isn't any kind of canister in between. 🤔

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
That can be a problem. High pressure pump is designed to push well enough... but it has very little suction. It will have a hard time pulling fuel from the tank below 1/2 tank.

If the low pressure in tank works properly... no issue. But if it doesn't work...

Test the low pressure pump...

This is exactly why I did my fuel system th I suggested.