•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

fuel pump

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
well i got a new manual fuel pump and got it installed and man do i gotta say that i never wanna do that again cause it was a pain in the azz. the reason i replaced it is cause in any gear when i try to accelerate it boggs down and then finally gets it and goes. well needless to say it still happens, if i wanna accelerate i have to barely hit the gas and slowly press the gas pedal and it sounds like it is missing. would u guys know what might be my problem? if so please help cause i really wanna keep this rig gause it can go almost anywhere and its pure stock plus its clean inside and out. if i cant get it fixed i will have to sell it and buy something else which i dont wanna do.

--weezl--

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
is it carbed or fuel injected? sounds like a dirty carb or dirty injectors

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Has it been doing this ever since you rebuilt the carb, or is this a new thing?

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
it did it before i rebuilt the carb then it got worse once i did the carb rebuild

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Does it idle ok/at a reasonable speed? What about if you are stopped and hit the gas, does it bog down, miss, etc? Could be a vacuum leak, and if it got worse after the carb kit, I'd suspect the base plate gasket.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
it almost dies unless i keep reving it and if i hit the gas it bogs down then i let off and hit it again and it will go but it still is bogging down then after a few seconds of babying it it will go then same thing happens in second third and fourth- i checked all the vaccume lines and they are all in good shape- now the carb kit came with a gasket for the carb and it also came with a spacer but from what i saw it had a 1 inch spacer on it already it was black plastic and then the one that came in the kit was about half an inch or less and it didnt look plastic but wasnt a gasket so idk if i was suppose to use it but i didnt use it should have i?

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
No, ignore that thick gasket thing that comes with the kit. I have had the best luck with the plastic spacer. Just make sure you have new gaskets above and below that. What you can do is spray carb cleaner around that gasket and see if the engine idle speed changes... if so, it's sucking the carb cleaner through a leak.

--weezl--

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
^^ thats'a a good idea... once you've done that, just for humor's sake, pull your cap off and give your rotor a twist, see if it's come loose and is free spinning...

my dad's jeep had symptoms similar to yours all of a sudden, and seemed to get worse, was completely non drivable, we pulled the carb, rebuilt it several times, only to have no change, turns out the little pin on the rotor was broken and it was sparking when ever it felt like... oddly enough, it was sparking at the right time enough that it would idle half decently...

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
i will try that and weezle my moms gmc sanoma did that it would idle but u give it gas and it would bog down and not go