•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Full b2 build, 4.0, d35, 8.8.

jpistheman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
just joined this forum figured i would let yall in on my newest project.

i got my new bronco pulled home today (march 24th). its a 1988 bronco EB. rough shape right now. needs a bath real bad, interior cleaned up, a tranny. and much more.. i will update the thread as i build the rig. enjoy.

I'd say she needs a bath...

for $350 i got the bronco with a 80K 4.0 in it. yes 4.0. the 2.9 auto tranny that was blown, the electric t case, hedman headers, and high flow cats, all the parts to put it back together.

tomorrow i will have pictures of the motor, tranny, and have it cleaned up. oh. and a picture or two of the suspension that will go on :) so stay tuned.

later.

jpistheman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
thanks! always good to see that others can see past the dirt, pine needles and scum on the paint. its actually a really straight truck.

tri_sikos509

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
wus up with that catalic converter

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I know what you mean man. A Diamond in the rough! Its amazing what a little cleaning will do isn't it.

jpistheman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
they are high flow cats.

yes, yes it really is a shame. the guy said that if i hadn't bought it he was going have it scrapped!

Last edited:

B2 Addict

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Man, what a sweet deal!!!!! $350??!! :icon_cheers:

I think I'm gonna be :bad:

Awesome find!!:icon_thumby: Why do the B2's go so cheap up there in the N.W? My ex's dad is a car hauler & use to go up to Seattle a lot, he picked up a nice 85 B2, 5 spd that ran good & had very light damage to the right fender & door for $250!! He says they are everywhere. He would always go to some auction just south of Seattle. Unfortunately, he rarely gets up there anymore.

He gave it to one of his other daughters & she ran it out of oil. :icon_confused: He called me & said come get it, its yours for free! :icon_thumby: Engine was salvageable so it was rebuilt & was perfect until I let my brother drive it & he rolled it. :bawling: Sad but instant parts for my others.

Good luck, keep us updated on the project!!!:icon_thumby:

jpistheman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
yes, they are everywhere. easy to pick up a stock running 2.9 b2 around here for 3-500.

i was told the hedman headers that i got with the truck were purchased from summit for 349$ not including the aftermarket cats.

i got some cleaning done. and the dash all back together.

theres alots of issues i have to deal with about the motor.. the guy hacked up the wiring pretty good.

im not sure if i want to try and clean it up re-wiring most i can, or start completely fresh, pull the motor back out, go through it good, new gaskets, and make sure everythings good, and then put in everything from my explorer? the engine harness and all.

i know that its been done with the explorer dash, but im kinda hoping to keep the original dash. any ideas?

and rolled broncos? ill throw up a picture of my rolled bronco as well. haha

B2 Addict, how do the 33s look with 7inches of lift?

Last edited:

B2 Addict

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
No doubt in my mind you got a heck of a deal, even if you have a mess of wires to contend with. Never had to deal with that so can't really give you any advice. I agree,I would want to keep the stock dash.

I like my 33's with the 7" lift. I need to get the back up a little though. I put the sploder rear springs on & it leveled it out, but with a 31" spare tire it dropped it down more than I like. Was gonna post a pic in here, I just am too ignorant to follow directions:icon_confused:

jpistheman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
im in a bind. it turns out the motor is in need of more then i thought at first.

its missing what it think is the ac pulley, the serpentine belt, the wiring is bad, it needs plugs, wires, a starter. and some other ods and ends.

i think what im going to do is pull the 4 liter thats in it out tonight, scrap all that wiring, its the original b2 harness cut everywhere and spliced into the 4.0.
and have that done tonight. and then take the next weeken/ and spring break to swap the motor out of my 91 expo into it. that way i have a complete engine bay of everything i need.

also, the tranny.. i have the rebuilt tranny in the explorer that has 2000 miles on it, i have the 5 speed that came out of the 88 b2 that i rolled and i have the a4ld that came with this bronco. this bronco was an auto but was converted over to 5 speed. but i cant decide weather i should throw the 5 speed that i have and hope it lasts? or should i swap it back to auto and run my new rebuilt tranny?

i have alots more questions but i dont want to overwelm you guys, so heres the pics for today.

washed the truck twice, threw on some 30s i had laying around,

cleaned up the engine bay somewhat as well.. look at that wiring mess..

here she is next to my explorer,

99RangerKrazy, thanks, im in the snohomish area.

Last edited:

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Vehicle
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
im in a bind. it turns out the motor is in need of more then i thought at first.

its missing what it think is the ac pulley, the serpentine belt, the wiring is bad, it needs plugs, wires, a starter. and some other ods and ends.

i think what im going to do is pull the 4 liter thats in it out tonight, scrap all that wiring, its the original b2 harness cut everywhere and spliced into the 4.0.
and have that done tonight. and then take the next weeken/ and spring break to swap the motor out of my 91 expo into it. that way i have a complete engine bay of everything i need.

also, the tranny.. i have the rebuilt tranny in the explorer that has 2000 miles on it, i have the 5 speed that came out of the 88 b2 that i rolled and i have the a4ld that came with this bronco. this bronco was an auto but was converted over to 5 speed. but i cant decide weather i should throw the 5 speed that i have and hope it lasts? or should i swap it back to auto and run my new rebuilt tranny?

i have alots more questions but i dont want to overwelm you guys, so heres the pics for today.

washed the truck twice, threw on some 30s i had laying around,

cleaned up the engine bay somewhat as well.. look at that wiring mess..

here she is next to my explorer,

99RangerKrazy, thanks, im in the snohomish area.
where exactly in the snohomish area? im right on the border of mill creek and south everett. its like a 10-15 min drive to 1st st in snohomish from my place.

jpistheman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
actually my parents place is in lake stevens. lol.. i dont live far from ave d.

looks like your looking into a 4.0 swap as well?

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Vehicle
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
I think I know which area your talking about, right on. whats the deal with that explorer? whats been done to it besides whats in your sig?

jpistheman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i got it about a year and a half ago for free, threw a rebuilt a4ld into it, drove it, put the body lift on, hated the look, but loved the ease it made when working under the truck, bought the 6 inch rough country lift off a buddy, threw that on and was running 36" super swampers, the thing has some electrical problems, the frames tweaked from when i wrecked it.. so its turning into a donor rig for this new project.

btw, if you need anything off of a 88 b2 let me know. i still got my rolled one but its getting scrapped this saturday.

also once the motor, tranny, t case and running gear are out of the expo it will all be getting scrapped. if your interested, shit will be cheap..

let a lone the fact that i already have 2 t cases, two trannies, a 2.9 and a 4.0 and a set of axles in my garage already..

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Vehicle
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
i got it about a year and a half ago for free, threw a rebuilt a4ld into it, drove it, put the body lift on, hated the look, but loved the ease it made when working under the truck, bought the 6 inch rough country lift off a buddy, threw that on and was running 36" super swampers, the thing has some electrical problems, the frames tweaked from when i wrecked it.. so its turning into a donor rig for this new project.

btw, if you need anything off of a 88 b2 let me know. i still got my rolled one but its getting scrapped this saturday.

also once the motor, tranny, t case and running gear are out of the expo it will all be getting scrapped. if your interested, shit will be cheap..

let a lone the fact that i already have 2 t cases, two trannies, a 2.9 and a 4.0 and a set of axles in my garage already..
all I need is a cheap, running 4.0L that doesn't overheat for my explorer. I need to get it running and sell it. possibly a rear axle (8.8).

jpistheman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
ill keep my eye out for ya.

i only have two right now and i want to keep one as a back up.

jpistheman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
another update:

just got done pulling the motor out of the bronco. everything went good. found some more hacked up wiring..

i think tonight ill "try" to pull her into the garage and start working out the wiring issue.

in these pictures all of the wiring you see is all of the bronco harness correct?

i dont need any of it? all of it can be pulled out and scrapped and ill just be swapping the whole harness over from the explorer.

i just wanna make sure before i tear it all out that i dont need to keep any of it.

some wiring...

more wiring...

clean bay besides the wiring, and what looks like maybe james duff motor mounts? i heard that the motor mounts need to be drilled to fit the 4.0 and these haven't been drilled at all. i'm thinking that maybe they are conversion mounts.

jpistheman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
another update!

just sold the rim and tire combo that was on the rig when i bought it for $150!

only $200 into the thing now.

FordMan016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
big bad 3.0L
nice BII eddie find. hard to find one of though as nice as yours is lol