•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Gas in oil....dipstick smells of gas

1985for5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have an 85 B2 with the 2.8L. I'm not that mechanically inclined but have a few friends that are....about 2 weeks ago i went out to check the oil and noticed white/yellowish foam on the dipstick. Did some research and was thinking it was condensation.....and went back to driving it. (it's my daily driver, I do about 30 miles a day). Today we put a new thermostat in because the temp gauge would never rise above C, would move up a few CM's but never to the middle, plus when the heater was on the air was never that warm. While doing that I checked the oil again, still have the foam and noticed that the dipstick smells like straight gas. All I really know is that this is not good. lol. I'm going to do an oil change tomorrow on it and see what that does. My gas mileage sucks, and It's not really burning fuel properly (what i was told), therefor my spark plug wires don't last etc.

I looked a few things up and from what i read it could be the fuel regulator, but then when i went to autozone and asked about that they said that the 85's don't have that. So i guess what i'm asking is, what are some things that can cause issues like this???

I can't complain too much because i paid $500 for the B2, but I already have more then that into it not counting the tires and it still runs like crap hah.

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
There is two ways gas could get into the oil
The first and most likely is the lower intake manifold gasket, although if this went, I would think you would have coolant issues as well, but i guess it could happen

The other is that your rings are shot, and a combination of bad spark could allow the gas air mixture to blow past your piston rings and mix with oil in the crank case,

It sounds like the engine has high mileage, my recomedation is get ready to rebuild it, or start searching for a nice used one..
Or swap in a 4.0!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

1985for5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
It either has 150k or 250k...and yeah, i'd love to do an engine swap, but like i said, I don't really know anything about engines, and the labor prices would kill me. Would like to do the 302 swap though....i mean damn i'm only getting 12mpg with the 2.8l, it would probably be better with the 302 lol

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
It sounds to me like the mixture control solenoid on the carb is not working or is stuck in the closed position.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Actually there are three ways the power valve could have a hole in the diaphram or a leaky gasket. The fuel pump could be bad or it`s flooding. Is it hard starting when the engine is hot if not it is probably the fuel pump. Not fun to change.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Leaky needle and seat will allow the fuel level to be too high in the carburetor. It will drip when turned off. It can puddle in the intake or sometimes make it into the intake port. From there, it washing down the cylinder into the pan.
But most times, I would say a bad fuel pump would be the culprit.