•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Gear Oil Weight.....

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
felpro gaskets makes it same with victor, these are felpros #s
rds55341 for a 8.8 and rds55393 for a 7.5

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well I just now got around to repairing it, but I have ran into a problem....the fill bolt that you remove to put the gear oil in is stripped, and I can't remove it....I guess the previous owner had tried to repair it ince before.....now what do I need to do to get the bolt out?
If you know someone with a welder, have him weld a nut to the plug. It's by far the fastest, easiest, least destructive method.

If it's the kind I'm thinking of, with the square hole in it for a ratchet, you can get plug sockets that are a better fit and less likely to cam out if it's stripped just a little. Or if your ratchet is a cheapie, grind off the domed end of the drive so that your square corners go all the way to the end. You may get a better bite that way.

I have also successfully hammered a large torx bit socket into a rounded out plug to extract it.

Depending on how much plug sticks out, you might be able to catch the edge with a chisel and turn it out by hammering.

Big left-hand drill bit and a torch. Heat the plug until it's red, then start drilling just as soon as the redness fades. Either you'll make a hole in it, or, hopefully, the bit will catch and twist the plug out. Pay attention to how hot you get the housing so you don't cook out the seal.

sweetwaterbroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I appreciate your help...do you know if its possible to buy a replacement plug? It is the kind you were thinking of with the square hole.

kozak

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 351M, 302
Your local auto parts store should have one for you.