•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Getting another B2?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I hear that lol ! I'm still trying to get my mom's 97" grand cherokee finished which has been a nightmare and alot of money to fix so I know what you mean. :D
I had a 96 Grand Cherokee and loved it, had the 4.0L straight 6 limited edition only thing I grew to hate was the full time 4WD, it did great offroad, but would have been nice to have 2WD.

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Yea my mom's has a bunch of different choises for her transfer case which includes 2-wheel mode and it has the 4.0 with only 148,xxx miles on it but it had a bad tranny and I think this is the thrid time its been rebuilt but its a nice rig. Only paid $500 for it.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
We had a '97 ( wife's car ) Cherokee Country which was the top of the line Cherokee is '97. We had it for, I think, 9 years. My wife used it as a DD. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I wish the MPGs could have been a bit better, but the 4.0 has tons of power, easily out bettering the Ford 4.0. I liked the boxy look . . great vehicle.

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Yea its a good rig but been having alot of trouble with the tranny rebuild and it's turned into a nightmare so I'm starting to hate it lol !

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
You need to have auto transmissions rebuilt by someone who will take the time to do it correctly. Many times, they are "short cuttted" and the result is much less than desired. We had 176K on the '97 and the trans was fine. I did have to replace a set of shifting solenoids in the trans, but that is a common problem with them. Otherwise, they work pretty good.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Yea my mom's has a bunch of different choises for her transfer case which includes 2-wheel mode and it has the 4.0 with only 148,xxx miles on it but it had a bad tranny and I think this is the thrid time its been rebuilt but its a nice rig. Only paid $500 for it.
You must have the Selec-Trac transfer case then, that gives you 2WD, 4WD High Part Time, 4WD High Full Time, Neutral, and 4Lo. This was the best 4WD system ever made IMO.

Well for $500 that's a steal, even with a bad tranny they're worth quite a bit especially to an offroader. The 4.0L engines were pretty damn reliable, best engine they had which chrysler promptly destroyed of course, the transmissions from chrysler are notorious for failure. If that jeep doesn't have an external transmission oil cooler you need to look into it. I know my 96 grand cherokee I overheated the transmission in it several times offroading, but it had some sort of fail-safe mode that it would lock into 1st or 2nd gear until it cooled down then it would start working like normal again.

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Well my brothers co-worker is rebuilding it as he has done alot of them with no problems , But now the trans rebuild kit is missing 2 disks along with other parts that have been a nightmare to get the company to give us that was supposed to be in there(super master kit) but wasent. I'm starting to hate the damn thing and my brother is to but we already have alot of money into it and the shops around here that I've priced rebuilds at run from $1,500-$2,000 for a bench top rebuild and we just dont have that kind of money so we do the best we can.

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Well after much searching I finaly got another vehical , But it's not a 4x4 of any kind:bawling: It's a 1986" Thunderbird turbo coupe and I'll just leave it at that Lol !