•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Getting the fuel gauge to work!

NUguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
So I have a 1990 Ranger and a 1990 Bronco II. The fuel gauge in both were inoperative when purchased. I trouble-shot it down to the anti-slosh module and tried a replacement from a 91 ranger but it was bad as well.

I decided to bypass it and while it may change while turning, braking and accelerating it is accurate under steady driving. This is how I fixed it.

Removed the cluster. The anti-slosh module is the board plugged into the right side in the picture:

The anti-slosh module out:

Remove the three connections on the left side. I used pliers to pull them.

The connections removed:

Jump the other two connections. Here I used a wire but later I soldered the pins together on the back side of the board:

This has worked for both of my RBVs and to fix a friends 93 Explorer so I figured the problem is common enough that I should share.

Hope it helps. Also if you don't want to pull the other three connections you can tape over them to test it.

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Interesting, thanks :icon_thumby:

I always thought the aniti-slosh circuit was in the tank

Ranger2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Two thumbs up! I'll give this a try tomorrow after work.

Ranger2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well it may have been problematic, the gauge went from 3/8 to under 1/8 but the tank is still full. Looks like the bed has to come off. The good news is I got to clean up all the grime on the clear plastic cover, and I figured out how a second gen dash comes apart without breaking antyhing!

trikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Vehicle
ford
great thread I have a problem w/my '94 since I was in a minor rear-ender. I checked the inertia switch altho doubted it has any bearing on the problem.
I'll check this tomorrow.