•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Going to put a 99 Explorer d35 and 4.0 into my 86 B2 need advice.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0

This is a 97 ranger's fiberglass dash. This is a lot more than I would do to my bronco but as you can see in the cluster he added the aftermarket gauges and I will add all my other gauges like oil pressure and oil temp and trans temp in the center by the shifter. I am going to try and fiberglass the dash myself first. My dad says he has done some fiberglassing back in his day and if it doesn't turn out right I will just get my buddy to do it. I might use the expo's dash as a guide so I get keep the curves in the dash.

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
That's a Mustang dash.

-PlumCrazy

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Lol glad you said that the guy said it was custom fiberglass lol

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Take that explorer you bought. Put a coat of wax on it. Turn them hideous white lettered tries in and resell that thing. You can make more money off it than what you paid for it.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Of course I could sell it for at least $1000 and double my money but I am going to get the explorer and go through it and see. I can make the wiring harness, dash, engine, and trans to work and I checked with my local pick and pull and they agreed to swap front end parts with a front axle out of a 93 expo. The only issue I have with the 99 expo is the previously discussed front end. I can strip the truck use everything I can swap the front end with the local pick and pull and then scrap the body and get at least half my money back. I saw a 99 expo today at the salvage yard and now I understand why it won't go in. I really couldn't see to the gear housing in the middle but will the gears in a 99 fit in the housing of an earlier model? I was just curious because I would take the gears out and swap them so the axles would be the same. If not no big deal I have a long time before I will be able to do a axle swap. It will take me several months probably before I will be ready for axles but we'll see. If the explorer is in as good as shape as the picture looks I might just keep it and let the wife wheel it. Right now the bronco needs possibly two new fuel pumps so my biggest concern is to get it running first.

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Gears wont swap either. IFS D35 (95+ Expo 98+ Ranger) are low pinion, The TTB D35 (Older Ranger, Expo, late B2) is high pinion.

-PlumCrazy

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I think you have three good choices.Drive the Explorer.Take the Explorer motor out find a donor for the other parts.Sell the Explorer buy a good donor.If you attempt the job your talking about at a low skill level your going to take way more time than this thing is going to be fun.If you don't finish your going to turn both cars to junk.Maybe you should start with a simple motor change at first.

ronclark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Ok a good deal on a 1999 Ford Explorer 4.0 4x4 Manual Transmission just fell in my lap so I am going next weekend to get it. Here goes the questions. Is there are threads here where people have used newer model explorers for the swap? I checked the tech library and the newest was 1994. Also I believe the Explorer has auto locking hubs because I don't see a transfer case shifter by the gear shifter. Is there a way to make a electronic locking t-case a manual locking t-case like my B2? Can I use parts from my 86 B2 to do that? I really have too many question to ask in a thread but if yall have any advice about the swap I'd really appreciate it. I am doing the engine, transmission, transfer case, front and rear axles hopefully one after another and get it done quick so I can get back on the road! I also thought about swapping the dash but I don't know if the Explorer dash is too big.
Right off hand I don't know what the year cut off is, but at some point thy removed the provision for the manual transfer case linkage in the M50D-R1