•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

good deal on 88 B2 I think?

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
I bought a really straight 88B2 w a bad tranny the guy sold me for 500$. question is when you put it in gear nothing changes and it wont even idle different. Guy I bought it from says he gave it to his son in law for labor he didnt finish so when it died he got it back. I didnt even do anything yet but pull the rear drive shaft and tow it home. what would you think it is? I am stoked because it is straight and has a 3" body lift w 31s that have some miles left and the motor runs smooth. What breaks first? Thanks for experienced feed back.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Basic checks. Fluid and Linkage.

Does it have fluid?

Is the linkage correctly hooked up to the shift arm?

S-

Swepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
And if those are good. I've seen torque converters snap bolts. Worst case gears are toast or clutches burnt up. I hate autos. To complicated for me to try to rebuild.

Last edited:

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
Ok, I checked and the fluid and linkage are correct but no engagement at all. I believe the trans died, I want to switch to 5 speed. is the m5od swap fairly doable? I understand I will need to get the linkage w the trans and flywheel and starter w harness from solinoid to starter. The tech articles I read were fairly explanatory and I think I can pull it off. Kind of a hassle but worth the effort to have a manual. do you have to pull the dash to do the pedal or can you weasel it in? My jy guy said 350 for a m5od w the flywheel and a starter will be 20 more, factor in a clutch set and master/ slave I should be in around 500 for the swap if I am correct? Will I have to shorten the rear shaft and lengthen the front? If so I will try to get the explorer shafts that fit?

Swepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
In not for sure on the shafts. But don't get the plastic slave cylinder. Spend the extra money. It's a pain when not even a year later have to pull tranny and transfer again to replace again From experience
I think last time I was under my dash you should be able to leave dash in. But don't knw for sure

limit_explore

Reaction score
when i did my 5-speed i originally got the fm145 which is 3 somthin inches shorter then the m50d/fm146. i cant recall what years is which. but if you get the correct transmission for the year then no driveshaft issues.

as far as slave/master, ive been using the plastic slave for 2 years now, about 30k miles of hard wheeling, clutch kicking, and daily driving. hell ive been through 3 transmissions and just keep swapping the slave lol. one thing i suggest doing, if you dont get the clutch line from the junkyard BUY THE COMPLETE KIT. i think its like $150 for master slave and line PRE BLED. where as i ended up spending $120 on a line, $40 for a slave and like $30 for a master.

and save an extra $150-200 for random shit you find wrong as you do the swap.
oh and as far as the dash removal for the pedal, i got one from an early b2, so it didnt fit in my explorer. i ended up cutting my stock auto pedal and just put the clutch pedal on using a 6" piece of 3/8 all-thread and lock tightened the nuts on.

hope that helps

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
That helps very much thanks. This site is cool as it gets, I appreciate all your experienced advice. I am going for it next wknd

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Also check to see if the driveshaft is not broken. I have broken a couple driveshafts and it exhibits the same symptoms. Those cv joints break and the shaft will just spin.

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
Ok thanks, will do. Man its cold right now.