•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

gunk in oilpan

gimedic1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
What is the easiest way to remove gunk from an oilpan? this BII sat up for 7 yrs. I am thinking about Easy-Off to remove the dried oil from my oilpan.Also soak the pan in gas for a day or two.Spray the crank and inside with Easy-Off to looosen up the Old Quaker State. ANY IDEAS Will be HELPFUL.thanks..

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
You already scrapped off what you can? Brake cleaner and a cloth will clean it up. Leave the over cleaner in the kitchen.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Brake cleaner or soak it in Super-Clean and rinse with water. Works great

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
If your just doing a oil change drain what you can and add some cheap oil and put 1/2 quart of ATF and top it off. Run the engine for about 100 miles at meduim speeds and then change the oil while still hot. It might take a couple times to flush out the old oil ATF is a good engine flush as it still has lubricating qualities and will dissolve sludge in any engine.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
i used a lot of parts cleaner and a brush to clean off mine and a putty knife to scrape off the old gasket.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
at least drain out the oil that's in there, remove the dist, and prime before trying to start to make sure it's getting good flow to the top of the heads. not easy on a 2.9L tho, you'll have to make a priming tool out of an old distributor because of the star shaped oil pump drive. FWIW dropping the pan is not an easy or strait forward task.

gimedic1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
I failed to remove the oilpan, poured gas into the pan and let it soak for 6 hrs. Will pour ATF and oil after letting the gas in pan evaporate out and drain off. What happened to detergent motor oil? Word of advice NEVER put Quaker State Oil in ANYTHING!!! The reason I dropped the pan was to try to get to the strain screen clean of ALL the gunk let from SITTING UP for 7 plus years.. Any more IDEAS, I am still listening..