•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Halp! Not charging and dying

thejaxx

Reaction score
Something went wonky with my 89 2WD XL. I had a blowback which I heard a clunk and knew that wasn't good. The truck died right after that. I was able to get it push started since I couldnt' get the key ignition to start up.

I had to baby it home since power was nil and would die if I came to a stop with lights on (at night).

I replaced the broken starter, solenoid, and then the alternator. When I took the alternator out, I noticed a wire that had come out of a plug. This alternator is bracket hole at 10am, voltage regulator plug at 2pm. It also has another plug at about 5pm.

Three wires, Black/Orange stripe, Orange/Blk stripe, White/Blk stripe. They all meet up with the wires from voltage regulator and go into tubing. The org/blk is the one that broke off. The blk/org is about to. I could not see a way of fixing this as they're molded into the plug itself, but the insulation was brittle from the heat and looks to have been replaced before from the splices I found about 4 inches up.

I can not find out what this plug is or where to find a replacement, so any help on that and what may be causing my issue's would be wonderful. If it's just the wiring that I described causing it, that makes it so much easier!

Thanks

thejaxx

Reaction score
Thanks.

It's the alternator wiring plug in CHS5. I will see if I can get some pictures without having to take it out.

The back of the alternator:

The black part is the voltage regulator if I'm not mistaken?

The plug at the top is what I'm trying to find.

thejaxx

Reaction score
Found the plug and NAPA had it. Now it's starting up. Just need to charge and see what happens:

Nalanthi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Had a similar problem when I was still running a 2.9 - same plug.
The connector completely fried and knocked the alt out. Voltage reg was ok.

For the price, I picked up an alt the next day at the JY complete with that exact plug - shopped around under a few hoods until I found one in good shape.

Methinks you're going to be fine at this point - just check your maxi fuses. When my alt got knocked out, it blew alt power #1 AND #2. :icon_rofl: