•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Hatch Handle Mod.

Flat Toy

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/2.5
Several months ago the rear hatch handle broke on the BII. So it was a trip to the local Pick a Part to get a new one, While there I got to looking at Explorers and started to think, and you guys know what happens when a BII guy starts to think. No, I didn't walk into a tree.
So I pulled the handle off an Explorer along with a BII handle and started playing around.

The only difference I saw was the Explorer handle had a larger shoulder at the base of the mounting studs (3/4").

So out came the drill.

And this is what I ended up with.

I did a little comparing and the handle off the explorer without the opening glass (that I have here) works fine with the hatch that has an opening glass.
I like the feel of the Explorer handle as it doesn't cut into the hand when turning it and it is easy to grab hold of.

RobbieD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Nice mod. The comparison photos sure does show the Exploder handle is beefier. Good writeup, and thanks for sharing your great idea. Would you know if the fixed-glass B2 hatch would work as well with the Explorer handle?

Flat Toy

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/2.5
I think it will. The explorer handle was from fixed glass hatch.

B2 Addict

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Good to know! :icon_thumby: I know what I will be doing when that BII handle breaks again( & I'm sure it won't be long)

Upgrades always appreciated! :icon_thumby: