•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Head Gasket Question on 2.9l 86 model

kcscott11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I have a 86 bronco 2 with a 2.9l in it, I bought it with the top end pulled off, but with all the parts to put it back together, The engine is brand new, with about 4 miles on it. It has brand new heads, and the block had all machine work done too it, rotating assembly still works perfect, pistons still look brand new... He put it all together, drove it four miles, and apparently it overheated, or started to overheat, He did his research and came to the conclusion that he used 87 bronco head gaskets on a 86 and that there is some particular port, that is not the same between the two 2.9l's, I have searched and searched and cant find anywhere that shows this to be true.... anyone know of such a thing? I put the old gasket on the block and everything seemed good, although one tear drop shaped port on the block only had a small pin hole in it, instead of being cut completely out.... just trying to figure this out, as I need to get her up and running and dont want to follow in his foot steps. Thanks

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of.

The left and right are gaskets are different, but I can't see someone installing them upside down on the wrong sides.

kcscott11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
yea, well the motor before the rebuild apparently had problems, he rebuilt it, and it overheated, every part is new, except for the radiator.......... plus the engine was bored when rebuilt, so I get the feeling it needs a new radiator and the top end reassembled once more.... i need to get in touch with him, but thats been complicated...