•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Head gasket replacement

markymarkbandit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
So I have a blown head gasket. I am planning on getting a kit that has all of the gaskets I will need. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, I was wondering if it would be worth while replacing the oil pump and rear main seal at the same time? Is there any additional cleaning I can do while I have the oil pan off? Are there any other items that should be addressed while I have the engine apart? Any tips or recommendations are welcomed. Thank you in advance.

90B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
If your pulling the engine and it has any kind of mileage on it, replace the pump and replace all the seals and gaskets. It's way easier now than later. My 90 B2 has 181K and has almost no oil pressure at idle when hot. I have a rebuilt long block on the engine stand ready to go in. At 181K it's just worn out. But do yourself a favor....do the gaskets, seals and pump!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Can't really recommend a kit, they're one in the same really. Get every single seal, and gasket replaced. You are going through all the trouble pull the engine tear it completely down do the rings, etc., while you are in there. No sense doing a 1/2 ass job, at that point you may as well not even bother at all. Water pump, oil pump, rear main seal, do it all, far easier to do when you got the engine out anyhow.

Jsmiles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford