•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Head Lights

martin45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Put new head light units in my 89 bll last night whats the best way to aline them and how.

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
A slightly foggy night is the best way that I found.

The Haynes manual says to park in front of a wall and adjust it within specs. They give you the measurement in the book.

Sent from my iPhone.

Ryan_D85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The best way I have found is in front of a garage door. Especially one with the raised panels that way you can line them up in the panels directly across from each other.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
park somewhere nice and flat infront of a wall. adjust. Go for a spin, see how they are. return to your wall. adjust again. rinse, repeat til satisfied.

edit - you can use chalk to mark a stop line infront of the wall, and center points for your lights on the wall, so you have a good way of judging how much adjustment you are making. (If you dont have chalk, the dollar store does.)

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Well just because you changed lights doesn't mean they need aligned. The buckets don't move from changing the lights. But if they need alignment, pull back 10' from garage door. Have the beams centered at 3" high and obviously straight in front of the truck.

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Popular Mechanics has a page on this where they recommend that at 25 feet the beams should be 2-4 inches below and 2-4 inches to the right of center, Ive done it this way many times with differant vehicles, I like the 2-4 inch drop but prefer 1-2 inches to the right of center.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/1347221