•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Headlights went out...

notforhumans

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Hi, y'all!

Apologies if there's already a thread about this... which I'm sure there is. Need a little help.

Back in maybe January I took my 1988 Bronco II to the shop because the headlights, tail lights, and instrument cluster lights went out. I knew there was a blown fuse, because they are all connected, and replaced the fuse once, but wanted to actually fix the problem. (Of course...) The headlight switch connector was melted, and they replaced the connector and the switch itself. This ran fine for a while, then I had to replace a fuse again. After that, no problems with the headlights until last week. Went to drive home in the dark, boom no headlights! Thankfully was just down the road from my house. I checked to see if it was the fuse again. Still have tail lights and instrument cluster lights. Didn't catch a blown fuse. So, is it possible that the connector already melted again? I suppose I can go look, and know pretty quickly, just haven't had the time and I'm curious if this is normal that the problem could happen that quickly within a year of completely replacing the part. If so, I don't really feel safe just swapping it out with the same OEM part, only for it to melt again when I'm maybe further away from my house at night. Is there a mod I can do? A different switch I can swap it with that still fits? I'm not extremely proficient in auto work (I can swap a fuse, replace a battery, check fluid levels, etc. but nothing advanced). Any help much appreciated!

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
I suspect you have an exposed power wire some where that shorts out. Replacing the damage doesn’t fix the cause. I would trace the wires from the solenoid to the firewall and from the firewall to the lights.

notforhumans

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
IMG_6391.png

Just checked and yeah from what I can tell the connector isn't melted. I tried wiggling around some wires to see if anything was loose while the headlight switch was engaged, and didn't have any luck. I think you may be right. It's a mess of wires behind the fuse panel. Can't even tell where to start from here.