•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Headliner woes.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
So I tried to repair my headliner but when i pulled it out it started crumbling in my hand. I cant seem to find these anywhere. Is this a junkyard only kinda thing?

vwa1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Keep in mind that the junkyard stuff is going to be 25 year old crap too. There's only one way to do it right. Remove the entire headliner, yank all the fabric off, and then wire brush off all the crumbly foam crap left over until your left with only the headliner base. (basically cardboard). Then find a suitable replacement fabric and install it on the headliner board. I buy from a local upholstery shop, but i admit they are getting hard to come by these days. What you want is headliner material with foam backing. Easily installed on your cardboard headliner base, and then trimmed to fit. It sounds like a pain in the ass, but the whole process might cost you $100 and a few hours time, so it's worth the effort. We should get together, since it seems like our B2's need the exact same repairs so far. By the way, I know my saggy headliner is caused by a leaking windshield seal, which will also need removed and resealed. Still, it beats driving a Cherokee.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Keep in mind that the junkyard stuff is going to be 25 year old crap too. There's only one way to do it right. Remove the entire headliner, yank all the fabric off, and then wire brush off all the crumbly foam crap left over until your left with only the headliner base. (basically cardboard). Then find a suitable replacement fabric and install it on the headliner board. I buy from a local upholstery shop, but i admit they are getting hard to come by these days. What you want is headliner material with foam backing. Easily installed on your cardboard headliner base, and then trimmed to fit. It sounds like a pain in the ass, but the whole process might cost you $100 and a few hours time, so it's worth the effort. We should get together, since it seems like our B2's need the exact same repairs so far. By the way, I know my saggy headliner is caused by a leaking windshield seal, which will also need removed and resealed. Still, it beats driving a Cherokee.
Yeah I did that this weekend, with I headliner I pulled out of a 1990 BII. When I got all the foam off it was just falling apart. I tried to repair the line card a had, with fiberglass and resin, but of course it shrank while drying and ruined the card. My issue isnt the fabric, its the board itself that Im hunting.