•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Heard pop/discharge while driving.. now no spark.

jomega

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Hey guys, i was driving my b2 a few weeks ago and i heard a pop / discharge sound, now I have no spark.

Checked the coil, positive and negative light have juice with key on. Coil out lights up for split second with key on, then nothing. (is that bc of eec relay going to fuel pump?) When cranked, also nothing.

Hastily I threw money at it. Replaced the plugs, wires, distributor, icm ,rotor, cap. Replaced ignition coil and ignition switch as well.. still nothing.

When i turn the key i can hear the eec relay click (could it still be bad?)Not sure what else to check.

Im baffled why key on would get a jolt of power then nothing. I'd imagine that if the pos/neg have power and there's no power from the distributor it would be the coil.. but I replaced the coil.

I know the previous owner hacked up the wiring as well.. not sure if these pics provide any clues.

Attachments

syberdust

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
What year is your B2?

jomega

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
1986 2.9 4wd manual

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Did you swap any wires around unintentionally? Sounds like you have. I'm not good with wiring but remember reading about symptoms like yours and it was a case of 2 wires being switched.

jomega

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Unlikely. I was driving when it happened. I DID notice a lot of power steering fluid all over the place around the ignition module (you can see it in the pics.i think the previous owner way over filled it. So i wouldn't be surprised if the fluid shorted something.. but i dont know what other fuses / relays to check.

jomega

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Update:
Had someone with strong electrical know-how go through the wiring. Turned out to be the 22k resistor as well as an inline fuse.. ordered an electronic parts store resistor and soldered it inline. I think the power steering fluid did a number on some exposed wiring. Runs good as new now!

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Thanks for the update. Glad you got it fixed.