•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Help: duraspark conversion

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
but does it shut off? lol, Im guessing you got that issue figured out.

Let me know how your fuel mileage changes once you get a few miles on it, I dont think mine improved much, get maybe 22mpg on the highway now, was around 18 before. It does run better and have a noticable improvement in power tho since the swap, although it is still just a 2.8 so I wont win any drag races..lol

I was on the highway last weekend and came home with a ford garden tractor in my utility trailer... total weight of tractor and trailer around 1700 lbs, I could hold 120 km no problem except for 2 small valleys where it would only hold 90 km uphill. Had it upto 140 km on the flats once for a bit but that was pretty close to max. This was the first trip over 500km and with the trailer since I did the swap so I was playing with it a little, I was happy with it.

Spardicus2024

Reaction score
Is the ignition coil supose to get really hot? I mean like super hot, too hot to touch. and if not what could be causing this? Any Help is appreciated.

Thanks

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Is the ignition coil supose to get really hot? I mean like super hot, too hot to touch. and if not what could be causing this? Any Help is appreciated.

Thanks
What coil are you using if not internally reasisted it needs a ballast resistor. If you still have the stock coil (square TFI) just install it and forget about it.

Spardicus2024

Reaction score
What coil are you using if not internally reasisted it needs a ballast resistor. If you still have the stock coil (square TFI) just install it and forget about it.
I bought the one from the duraspark covertion write up and just used spades to connect to it. What size resistor is needed?

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
My setup is exactly as the trs tech article and my coil doesnt get hot, warm yes but not hot. There is no resistor needed with the conversion done as the article shows.