•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Help with 85 Bronco II

ronclark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Well my mom was given a 85 Bronco II its straight, but need a paint job.
the windshield leaks, the interior looks like a kid painted it. it was blue, now it black, tan with blue carpet.

What concerns me is all the codes it has and its blowing a bit of blue smoke.
The trans is making noise as you drive it and when sitting in natural. it gone when you push the clutch. It sure sounds like a bad input bearing to me.
You cant find the gears the shiftier is so lose.

I am pretty sure the cats have failed too, thy don't get hot and i sure can smell the raw fuel, part of which is the bad O2.

I don't know a lot about the 2.8L's, and i am wondering if its worth fixen up or consider a swap. right know shes made it her Daily Driver.
I am thinking it might be more trouble than its worth

Key off

23 O Closed throttle TPS voltage higher or lower than expected.
31 O PFE or EVP circuit has intermittently failed below minimum voltage of 0.24 volts.
87 O Fuel pump primary circuit failure. When the FP relay was activated by the EEC, voltage was not detected on the control circuit.
18 C IDM circuit failure or SPOUT circuit grounded.
63 C TPS circuit has intermittently failed below minimum 0.6 volts.

Key on running

13 R Cannot control RPM during ER Self-Test low RPM check.
22 R MAP/BP sensor out of self test range.
25 R Knock not sensed during dynamic test.
31 R PFE or EVP circuit below minimum voltage of 0.24 volts.
34 R PFE or EVP circuit above the closed limit of 0.67 volts.
41 R No HEGO switching detected always lean (right side).
58 R VAT indicated -40�F / circuit open.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 2001
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Obviously, it needs lots of work, but the blue smoke may be serious as is the transmission problem.
I don't know where you want to start, but check the costs of the transmission, clutch,etc and all the parts you may need to get the smog right - if you need smog inspections where you live; otherwise consider a DursSpark conversion.
To test each code, I would recommend a Ford manual and lots of time.
Sorry I can't be of any help other than check the possible costs before you start.

Incidentally, the 2.8 doesn't have an electric fuel pump so that code is wrong - or you have a different engine and/or wrong computer.

ronclark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Thanks for the info, it sounds like what i thought a can of worms.

I did not know 2.8 did not have electric fuel pumps. I'll have to see what computer it has.

I am almost thinking it would be better off putting in the 2.9 i have. i have a completed harness and ECU from my 87, when i did my 4.0L swap.
and i still have parst of my parts truck i am taking apart.

We don't have inspections and she lives in the part of the county that does not have smog yet, but i know its only time before it gets there.
it seems they keep moving the date and areas that require smog.

Obviously, it needs lots of work, but the blue smoke may be serious as is the transmission problem.
I don't know where you want to start, but check the costs of the transmission, clutch,etc and all the parts you may need to get the smog right - if you need smog inspections where you live; otherwise consider a DursSpark conversion.
To test each code, I would recommend a Ford manual and lots of time.
Sorry I can't be of any help other than check the possible costs before you start.

Incidentally, the 2.8 doesn't have an electric fuel pump so that code is wrong - or you have a different engine and/or wrong computer.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
duraspark it dont waste any money on codes you will never get it to pass. It is older than 25 yrs so smoge not an issue. There are many threads and some good info in the tech library for the conversion. If you can find a late 70s pinto or mustang II with a 2.8 for parts donor that would be sweet but you can get most parts new. All you need is the carb, dizzy, module the wiring is real simple you can use the existing coil. If it has good oil pressure run it till it pukes. Start off with the ignition first you can convert it usually in one day but getting the carb and vacuum right can take a little time. I put $600 easy into my computer stuff and still wouldnt act right and as soon as it was old enough to not require smog I did the conversion and never looked back, still running good today. You may as well get the clutch parts together and drop the tranny hopefully just a bad throwout bering but you want to address it soon as possible. I guarantee it needs valve guide seals also but you can change them without pulling the heads. On mine I think maybe two of the seals were actually touching the valve stems. I am also sure the cat is gone from all the oil it is burning. Do the research get the parts and ask questions GL.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
You will need the complete harness and fuel tank to go with the 2.9 but it is dooable.