•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

help with transfer case and front axle

whitewizzard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99, 01
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0, 4.6
i have a 99 explorer AWD 5.0 4 door lifted 5 inches (3 body 2 suspension) with 33 inch tires. my front axle and transfer case are begining to make noises. the front axle is growling at me and the t/c is popping when i accelerate every now and then. i need to know what axle and t/c i have. i think the axle is a dana 35 and i think the t/c is a borg warner 4404.(i could be wrong) but if anyone knows exactly is in these things i would greatly appreciate the help.

AccordRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/99
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
You do have the BW 4404. I would suggest going with a BW 4406 manual, if yours goes out. As for the problems im not real good with t-cases so ill let someone else chime in on that.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Popping is probably a worn out chain. Not much else in there to pop, the growling could also be coming from the transfer case chain. But if it is coming from the axle, I would check the unit bearing (wheel bearings) before much else.

whitewizzard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99, 01
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0, 4.6
i do have new wheel bearings/hubs and new cv shafts so im thinking it may possibly be bearings in the pumpkin or the bearing out on the passenger side. how hard is it to swap to a 4406 manual? does anybody have an idea what axle is under the front of this so i know what parts to get.

AccordRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/99
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
Im not sure on how easy it is as ive never done it but alot of people have done it. I would look on explorer forums as i believe there is a full write-up on how to do it.
You should have a D35 ifs front diff on that.

whitewizzard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99, 01
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0, 4.6
i figured it was a d35 but wasnt sure. my wifes jeep has the d30 in the front of hers and mine looks bigger so thats how i figured. well when i get home im gonna have fun tearing the front out from under this again(need to do it anyways, control arm bushings are blown). do i have to worry about anything exploding or anything like that if i drive it? ive got about 300 miles to get home.

jims89broncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
yea its a 31 spline d35 front. if your looking for a tcase im parting out my 01 :icon_idea:

whitewizzard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99, 01
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0, 4.6
i gotta see how everything looks and see if its all repairable before i start getting more parts. my cobra is torn apart in the garage(my wife isnt happy bout that one) and her jeep is in the car port with the crank shaft blown(bearings spun). im gonna see if i can get a center section for the front axle from a junk yard and just rebuild that and then swap it to see if that fixes most of my problems.

jims89broncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
good luck on that man! let us know how it turns out

whitewizzard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99, 01
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0, 4.6
will do and ill let everyone know what damage i created lol this one has got me confused on if its the diff or the t/c so ill keep y'all posted

whitewizzard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99, 01
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0, 4.6
so i got home ok i guess....never knew you could get pulled over for going "to slow"(3 times). so over the week i have ripped the entire front end off this thing. i need to replace ball joints top and bottom on both sides. the bearing that i heard growling at me was indeed the bearing in the shaft on the passenger side. so while the truck is garaged the front diff is gonna be rebuilt completely(possibly putting in an airlocker while im at it) and the entire suspension system is getting a make over. i think all this work should relieve me of all the sounds i have been hearing.