•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Hey 86XLT......About that 145 to 146 swap you did.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
This is to all that might know the awnser, im just sure 86XLT knows the awnser.

Ok i just picked up an 86XL it has an fm145(stuck in 3rd gear), and will be installing an fm146. After crawling under it i have noticed the slave cyclender input for the clutch line is closer to the top of the bellhousing, unlike the fm146.(more to the driverside) just wanted to know if it was as easy as using the fm145 clutch slave and bellhousing?:icon_confused:(easy, i have all the parts) or if i would have to get the proper clutch line For the fm146?

Any info would be great. :beer:

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
I think the line will work for any of them. As far as I know they all have the same end on the slave side. In my '84 B2 I am using the line from a TK 4speed on an FM145. I just had to bend it up since the slave on the TK was down by the starter.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Ok, thanks for the reply man, i will have the new trans. next week.
if i can just swap bellhousings and slaves i will. if not then.... ill try bending the line, but i think its shorter then the one on my BII(fm145)....well looks like it is.

Last edited:

Blankstar85

Reaction score
Should work, I think the lines are the same, I went A4LD to 145 to M5OD R1. Please note 146 IS LONGER than the 145, You will need to move your crossmember

86XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'86
Vehicle
Ford
if you originaly had the fm145...yes you will need to move crossmember. im not sure how much. if you orginaly had an A4LD it isnt necessary. The clutch lines are the same, and i believe the slave is too. i recommend to go get a brake bleeding hand pump from harborfreight to bleed the clutch afterward. I followed the exact instructions on this site and still had problems until i bought the pump and had it bled in 15 mins.(after about 24 hours of work pulling and re pulling the master to re-bench bleed it). hope this helps