•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Hey its been a while!! so questions on 97 mountaineer 5.0l swap to 89 b2

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
soo

i completed the 4.0L swap in my 89 bronco II
was my daily driver and a blast to drive untill i was hit in the passenger side rear and rolled onto my roof at 55 mph.
one hell pf a ride but my b2 kept me safe, but there wasnt much left of the truck..

so now i am haveing seperation anxiety from my B2

and ive been hunting and looking non stop for a decent body, all of them here in MI are pretty rusty.

But i allready have a 97 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0l EFI V8 AWD
and im looking for my 89 B2 atm..

so the plans are to swap the 8.8 Ls rear, with disc brakes into the b2.

now here are my questions..
/
what would be my best bet as far as transfercases and transmissions go?

i would like a manual trans
ive heard the Musta ng t5 is the way to go, but what should i get as far as transfer cases? can i convert my bronco 2 to AWD with the mountaineer transf case
are the t5 and my 4 speed auto trans the same length or will i have to move crossmembers and lengthen/shorten drive shafts if i dont put the t5 in right away.

currently the b2 im looking at is auto trans.. over drive is slipping in it...
and has a jasper rebuilt 2.9l motor with 12,000 miles on it, which is getting pulled so if you need a great runnimg motor pm me.

so yeah any tips comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated also if you could point me to some reading material or other forums/threads with info that would be great.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
SAS the Mountaineer and put a non-AWD t-case in it.

The T5 is a waste of time and it's a 2wd transmission in stock form. Therefore it will not simply bolt up to your transfer case, you would need a 4x4 Jeep tailhousing and other pieces.

If you are really bent and determined to do this then your best transmission option is an automatic since the B2 is already set up for it. Use the one from the Mountaineer if you want, or any other, really. Just depends on what t-case you want to use.

A T18, T19, NP435, or ZF would all be good options for a manual trans swap. The M5OD trans from 87-96 F150's is a bad choice. There are adapters out there to use factory Ranger/B2 manual transmissions too but those are also a waste of time because they do not last long behind a V8.

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
so what manual transfercase should i get for the 5.0 auto trans?
or even a electronic one? my girls 02 eddie bauer explorer has the 4.6 with elct shift 4x4 and ive never had a problem. something i can find at the junk yard for cheap.

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 Ranger STX
Vehicle
1995 Explorer L
Search my fried, it is all been discussed before.