•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

HID's in my 86 B2

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0

I found this kit on ebay for $116. I was wondering what it would take to install these. They are 6000K lights. I know how to install HIDs I just wondering if the stock wiring in the Bronco will handle the current needed for the lights. From my understanding they don't pull much more power than regular head lights but I don't know. I like these lights because they will match the fog lights I am installing in my bumper :icon_thumby:

These are my fog lights:

These are 7x6 lights which I believe that is the size of the lights in the Bronco.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
See the heavy gauge wiring that comes in the kit? That is what brings in the increased amps, not your original wiring.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
plus hid's are illegal in street use vehicles unless otherwise equipped from factory

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Well I am not too worried about it being illegal HID's here are a very common feature to find on vehicles. It can't be any more illegal than the blue lights in my fog lights :icon_rofl:. I was just curious if the original wiring will hold up to it. I guess I'll just try it and wait for it to burn something up then run all new wiring like I need to probably do anyways. I'll just have to isolate the headlights from the rest of my harness so that I don't mess anything else up :icon_thumby:

85broncduece

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
171ci v6
Run the relay mod for your lights. Electrical fires are not fun, especially when your whole truck burns down(i know from personal experiance not fun). Chances are if your light wiring goes its taking some other component out with it, could be the whole truck. $20 more get a 30amp relay and some 12ga wire, youll thank yourself later.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Yes I understood your post I was joking that's why i added the guy laughing and the thumbs up. I am working on making a separate harness myself to run the headlights separately. As much time and money I have invested in my bronco so far I would not take the chance to burn it down because of a pair of headlights.

JoshT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
What Pete is trying to say is that the kit comes with a wiring harness for the lights. It doesn't draw power through the factory wiring it only uses the factory wiring to power a couple relays. The power for the HIDs comes from the battery through the relays. So if you are buying that kit you do not need to make your own harness.

Hopefully the reflectors in those housings are made for HIDs otherwise you will be blinding a lot of people. Most housings aren't made for HIDs. If I were going to do a HID conversion on my 86 Ranger I'd get a set of housings and install actual projectors in them. IMO the only correct way to install HIDs is by retrofitting projectors into the housings.

As 509 suggested, regardless of the kit, HIDs are illegal in any vehicle that didn't come with them as an option from the factory. Even if the vehicle had it as an option, it is only a legal swap if done with factory components. I'm all for improved lighting legal or not, but if you are going to do it make sure you do it right. In this case make sure those housings are designed for HIDs or retrofit projectors, I'll probably be doing the latter with a set of housings from LMC truck. Given that I live out in the country and drive at night a lot I probably will be doing it, just got figure out which projectors to use (and put the truck back together).

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GO to www.theretrofitsource.com for as much info as you can handle for HID retro fitting. I intend to do a swap into my 95 Grand Cherokee as soon as I can scrape the $300 bones together...

Last edited: