•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

high rpm's at 55mph

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I thought my transmission wasnt shifting into OD but last time i drove it i counted. It shifted to all 4 gears but im running around 4000 rpms at 55 mph and as far as i know the gearing is all stock. is this normal? 89 b2 automatic. Also wheres the best and cheapest place to buy a CV driveshaft?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Something isn't stock, or something in the transmission isn't right. I believe you should be running around 2k in overdrive or slightly higher but no where near 4k.

Gilbee01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
For the cv go to Amazon . But for the rpms at 55 you should be at 2500 ish mine is the same as your and that's what I get. I also on my recently replaced wheel bearings and gushed and changed filter on trany . Also check to see if the hubs are locked . Or if someone ran with them locked you could have done damage. First thing I would check is to make sure your not stuck in 4 low/high.

-gil-

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
You should have an A4LD trans in an '89 BII, OD gearing is .75 ratio

So about 1,800rpm at 55mph, really depends on the rear axle gearing and tire height, even with a 4.10 rear end you would only be up at 2,100rpm at 55mph

4 wheel low is often 2.3:1 ratio, so you would easily get to 4,000rpm at 50mph

SenorNoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Just another possibility: Are sure the tach (I'm guessing that's what you're basing this on.) is accurate?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
At 55mph if the t-case was in fact in low range he would have done blown the t-case by now with the gear reduction its just not built to go that fast in low range whether or not the front hubs are engaged or not, its not made to go that fast. Does sound something of that nature though just don't see the truck staying in one piece at that rate of speed if it was in fact in low.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
The best scenario is something is ready wrong. If your tach is accurate, you don't have it in low 4wd . . . then you are up the creek without a paddle and you have a TC or more likely an A4LD problem.

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Im sure it is not in 4 hi or 4 lo.. is there any adjustments to this tranny?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
SEarch A4LD problems. It is a weak transmission unfortunately.

Gilbee01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'm guessing like mine you have the button on the dash for the 4x4 drive. I have heard about the engagement mechanism getting stuck. Just a thought .

-gil-

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Yes i have heard all about the A4LD problems. I bought this from my uncle who said the tranny was rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago and only driven only drive 2000 miles in the past eleven years according to the oil changes sticker on the window.

Again im sure its not stuck in 4wd

It just seems this bronco runs and shifts too good to have a major tranny issues. I was leaning toward a simple fix or at least hoping for a simple fix

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Not stuck in 4 Wheel Drive, stuck in Low which is a problem in the transfer case which may or may not engage the front drive line, so not a problem in the transmission.
Transmission is probably fine if it is shifting OK.

The transfer case has another set of gears that transfers power from the transmission to the front and read drive lines.
"Regular" transfer case gears are 1:1 so no change in speed or RPM when front axle is engaged, "Low" has a 2.2:1 to 2.6:1 depending on the model, so it would more than Double the RPM vs speed, which is what you describe.

It could be a simple fix by removing the shift motor and manually resetting the shift location so you are back to "regular" 1:1 gears.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Really? The trans already had to be rebuilt ( no promise it was done like new ) . .then it sat
for 11 years with almost no use and you don't think it could be the trans????

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
If it dont sound like its revving real high I bet it is just the tach going goofy. Maybe ypou can borrow a timing light tach at the part store to compare it to?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Yes i have heard all about the A4LD problems. I bought this from my uncle who said the tranny was rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago and only driven only drive 2000 miles in the past eleven years according to the oil changes sticker on the window.

Again im sure its not stuck in 4wd

It just seems this bronco runs and shifts too good to have a major tranny issues. I was leaning toward a simple fix or at least hoping for a simple fix
Just because the transmission was rebuilt doesn't necessarily mean it was done right, or someone hasn't ran it hard and damaged it again.

My grandfather's 93 Ford Ranger 4x4 transmission was rebuilt when we brought it home from my cousins. It lasted about 14 months after that rebuild and the hardest use it had was towing a 2000lb trailer a couple times a year. That A4LD transmission is garbage there's no way around it.

Not to mention you said it sat basically for 11 years. That's extremely bad on not only the transmission but hard on the engine. Things wear out just by sitting as in seals, gaskets, etc. will dry out and crack. You are in for some repairs for sure.

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
So today I gotta chance to take the B2 for a longer test drive on a flat road. It is actually running 3200 rpms at 55mph which still seems a little high. I also discovered I have 4.10 limited slip differential.

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Must have very small tires on there :)

4.10 is for pulling power so it is normal to have higher RPM at higher speed, but not that high

4.10 rear end
.75 Overdrive
27 inch tall tires
55 MPH
= 2,200 rpm

20 inch tall tires would be 2,900 rpm
OR
1.00 trans(3rd) would give you 2,900 rpm

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Must have very small tires on there :)

4.10 is for pulling power so it is normal to have higher RPM at higher speed, but not that high

4.10 rear end
.75 Overdrive
27 inch tall tires
55 MPH
= 2,200 rpm

20 inch tall tires would be 2,900 rpm
OR
1.00 trans(3rd) would give you 2,900 rpm
Stock tire size... I think this weekend im gonna drain and change tranny fluid and change shift solenoid and tranny filter

Gotta ask a dumb question .. is this tranny a 4 speed with a 5th gear as OD or is this a 3 speed with 4th gear as OD?

Also how many speed sensors are there and where are they located?

SenorNoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I'm still gonna say tach/wiring. Cause with a V6 if the second ground comes loose (Don't ask how IDK but it happened to me.) That's EXACTLY the way the reading would be.

One question:
Does it SOUND like it's revving that high?

I'm fairly sure it's a 3 spd with overdrive. That later ones (Mid 90's) (5r55e) were 4 spd with overdrive. And very different electrical parts.
Also the only speed sensor I know of is in the transfer case. It has the speedometer cable coming out of it.

Last edited: