•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

How do I remove center leaf spring bolt??

idriveafordranger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009/1994/1988
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0L/OHV 4.0L/5.0L V8
Hi, I am starting the Explorer leaf spring swap on my 1990 Ford Bronco II. I reviewed the tech. page on it and it says to flip the center bolt on the Explorer springs. I put a 9/16 socket on the bolt and turned it. The entire bolt turned inside the leaf spring. My problem is that the other side of the bolt is circular. How am I supposed to loosen it? Vice grips don't work. I am stuck! Help!

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
I would have to say cut the bolt off with a grinder and punch it out. Just make sure the leaf pack is clamped together so it doesn't come apart. Replace it with a grade 8 bolt.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Air guns pop that kinda stuff right off you could try a pipe wrench but if your going to ruin it anyway grinding would be easier.That is its own bolt buy one at the parts house.Preferably before you grind it so you know you can get a replacement before you ruin it.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Vice grips have always done the trick for me...

Cutting the head off and punching it through would be the easiest way.

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
I'll usually put a set of vice grips or a small pipe wrench on the round side and try removing the nut. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't come easy, I've resorted to other methods. I've used an angle grinder to put a slit in the nut and bolt (careful not to hit the springs) then taken a Craftsman flat screwdriver and beat the nut apart. I've also used a nut splitter to accomplish the same thing. And I've also taken a cold chisel and a BFH (Big Frickin Hammer) and whacked the nut off.

Do be careful, the spring will actually spring apart once that center bolt is removed. I've replaced them with grade 8 bolts before (you have to use a large C-clamp to pull the pack together again) or you can get a centering bolt from a spring shop. If you use a grade 8 you may have to either round the head of the bolt or slightly enlarge the hole on your spring pad on the axle.

While you got the pack apart, you might want to think of replacing the wear pads on the ends of the leafs. Any good spring shop should be able to provide replacements cheap. It'll keep the springs from squeaking.

marcehboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 2.9
Wiz wheel cut the nut end off. Make sure the spring pack is clamped. Go to the parts store and buy new center bolts. Would stay away for normal grade 8s because thats not what they were designed for, they sell center bolts be safe and do it right.