•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Hydro assist ?

Todd

HCT
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/91/99/04
Engine Size
So I did some searching to gain more knowledge on hydro assist then I already knew. I know where to port the steering box and all that.

My questions are about the pump. Many sources state that the stock ford pump does not have sufficient fluid flow to operate a ram as well as the steering box. It recommends upgrading to a Saginaw style pump that flows more GPM.

Now this it seems is based on a 1.5” diameter cylinder. I was wondering if I could get away with running a 1” diameter cylinder with stock pump, as I don’t need a hell of a lot of added steering force. I’m also not to concerned about really fast steering response. I mean I don’t want it to turn really slow, but this truck does not see the road. Fast maneuvers aren’t really needed.

I have also hear that you can drill out a fluid passage in a ford pump to increase the flow rate. Is this true? And if so how and where is it done?

Todd

HCT
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/91/99/04
Engine Size
guess I found what I needed on pirate about the ford pumps.

Besides the box whats wrong with the pump, I know everyones on the sag wagon, but why, I have replaced just as many sag pumps , I have a number of trucks ripping around with ram assist and the new style ford pump running them, I accidentaly over adjusted the steering stop on my dads F350 the other day and was blown away when the ram was fighting the steering stop and snapped the tierod end off, that was a big bang, and no it was not a faulty end or an incorrect taper, it snapped flush with the mount, thats alot of pressure, only one mod to these pumps, drill out the orfice in the fitting the pressure line threads in, from about 1/8" to about 5/16"

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
That's what I've always understood as well, just drill out the flow fitting.

I had been wanting to put assist on my Ranger for some time, but never gotten around to tapping the box and mounting the cylinder.
Strangely, my Bronco has much more ability to turn the wheels while at a standstill than my Ranger, yet both setups are essentially identical. Wondering if it's just because the Ranger is heavier, or if there's something else causing it (my Ranger's steering has always been kindof weak even since new).

I would use a 1.5" bore cylinder. I don't see a 1" making much difference with those wide tires.

Redriverranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
A 1" bore would not help much in one direction, there just would not be enough surface area for the fluid to act upon, assuming at least a .5" rod diameter. You would be wasting your time. Force=surface area x psi. You must subtract the surface area the rod takes up from the total bore to calculate force for the direction that the rod side of the cylinder affects.

Todd

HCT
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/91/99/04
Engine Size
Yes I know these things.