•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Hypothetical 1990 Bronco II Set-up

sgtmegull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Good Evening Fellow Forum Members,

I hope everyone had a good Christmas. I am new to this forum and I am not exactly sure where to place what I am about to ask. I found the 4.0L engine swap forum, but I did not see anything that I am about to ask under the transmission forum. If any fellow forum member knows where to send this inquiry, please let me know, and I will re-post my question in the proper forum.

Does anybody know if a ZF5-47 (Gas engine) transmission will even fit into a 1990 Bronco II with a manual shift Borg Warner 1354 transfer case, and can the ZF5 even be matched up to a 4.0L SOHC, due to the ZF5 having an integrated bell housing? The smallest engine I have seen that will work is a 4.9L I6, and I don't want that big of an engine (even though they are practically indestructible) in my 1990 Bronco II. The main reason I would want the ZF5 transmission would be for the gearing:

1st: 5.72 (aka "Granny" or "Creeper" gear, depending on where you're from)
2nd: 2.94
3rd: 1.61
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.76
Rev: 5.24

Having an extra-low first gear in a Bronco II would be a nice set-up when combined with 4.10 gears, 31x10.5R15 tires, and a 2-3 inch suspension lift.

Now that you have a better idea of what I am asking than I do, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your valuable time and expertise with my inquiry, and may you have a Happy and Prosperous 2019.