•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

I can't get the little wedge out!!!!! Help!!

idriveafordranger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009/1994/1988
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0L/OHV 4.0L/5.0L V8
I'm converting my 1990 Ford Bronco II (D28) with automatic locking hubs to manual. The little "wedge" or "key" that keeps the nut in place (the nut right before the wheel bearing) is stuck and I can't get the dang thing out. I've tried the magnet method and the pounding it through method and nothing is working. I finished the other side and it went smoothly. I really need some ideas. Help please?

kshack11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
i think you need to give us pics to help us help you

scotts90ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
stick a big crescent wrench or channel lock pliers on the hex part and work it back and forth, that usually frees it up, then the magnet method works better... although I don't know what to say if you've already tried pounding it through, it doesn't really have anywhere to go...

idriveafordranger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009/1994/1988
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks for your replies but I did get the key out. I stopped working on it for a while, ate dinner, went back to the garage and tried again. I got it out with the magnet, first try. It's one of those things where you could mess with it for hours then stop, come back to it in 15 minutes and it comes right off. Oh well no complaints!

Actually, thats what I did. I used some giant channel locks to work the nut back and forth. I saw the key moving around so I knew it wasn't stuck. I put a little WD-40 in the key hole slot but worked it back and forth some more. Just took some patience but I got her done!

Oh and BTW the 4 wheel drive works great now! 2-5 inches of snow is in the forecast; I can't wait!!

dennis461

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Jeep
Engine Size
3.0l
I'm converting my 1990 Ford Bronco II (D28) with automatic locking hubs to manual. The little "wedge" or "key" that keeps the nut in place (the nut right before the wheel bearing) is stuck and I can't get the dang thing out. I've tried the magnet method and the pounding it through method and nothing is working. I finished the other side and it went smoothly. I really need some ideas. Help please?
Get a paper clip, straighten it out and make a hook on the end. About 1/8 inch is all.
Slip in behind the lip of the wedge.
Rotate the nut back and forth till the wedge loosens up while pulling with the paperclip.

idriveafordranger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009/1994/1988
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Oh I hadn't heard of that method. Sounds like it would work!

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
I had a hell of a time getting the key out of the slot on my explorer, magnets, picks, ect, wouldn't work. I ended up actually having to take a grinder and chisel to the nut... Do yourself a favor and ditch that auto hub garbage.