•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

I had to gloat about my 86 B2!

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Well last night a buddy of mine called me around 10 pm and said that he just heard about a new spot nearby that was suppose to be good mudding. I never pass up an opportunity to off road so I told him I'd be there in 20 minutes. We got there and saw that the entire road was nothing but pure nasty red clay! When I saw it I was like :yahoo:! I love sliding around in clay. So we are back there and I am in my 1986 Bronco 2 4x4 it is completely stock with 30" Maxxis Big Horns. My buddy was driving his 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 HD 4x4 with slick all terrains on it. The dodge is missing the front drive shaft so it only has 2wd. Anyone that has ever been in clay knows where this is going! The Bronco performed flawlessly! The dodge on the other hand had a hard time. While trying to drive around a hole that the local truck club made his back in slip in. The guys that made the hole are running full size trucks with 40+" tires. My buddy is not the most skillful driver so when his back end slipped in he put his truck in reverse and stomped the gas. When the front end slid in the water came up to the hood. I posted pictures of the hole and the truck in it. This truck has a 2.5" lift on it so compared to my bronco this truck is massive. Well when he got his truck stuck in this massive hole the only savior he had was me :D! So I hooked a chain to his back bumper and to mine and started yanking. The truck was sitting on it's axles so it wasn't easy. I had to yank him about 20-25 times before I could get him out. Then I had to drag him all the way out of the woods because the clay was caked all over his tires. Even more amazing than my Bronco pulling out this truck was I did it only using my factory rear bumper. No reese hitch or anything! I can say that this bumper is still attached slightly bent but attached. Now all of my buddies that were talking junk about my Bronco has now recanted their statement and love my Bronco :icon_hornsup:! Here are a few pics. Sorry guys just had to gloat!!

That is a pic of me and my buddy and the hole is the one in front of us.

The damage after the pull!

This is after I pull him out about a foot. The mud on the hood is all of the mud that the cooling fan is pushing out the top of the hood.

These are 34" tires to help give perspective of the size.

The ruts my buddy left.

This is a short video of me pulling the dodge. Yes it is dark this is at 2AM and yes it is a little shaky my wife isn't the best camera woman but glad she got it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlM1454N8hE

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
And so your buddy is obviously not that bright. Why would you even attempt anything like that knowing your front drive shaft is sitting at home? What an idiot.

On the plus side your B2 saved the night. People look down upon these little bronco 2's and the ford rangers, they don't know what these vehicles are capable of, a hell of a lot more than many people give them credit for. I pulled an F-450 2WD truck out of my yard that the local "Tuff Shed" company got stuck in my yard after I told them where they needed to drive to get in and out. Pulled them out with my grandfathers 93 ford ranger 4x4.

twaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Many years ago, my wife and I had a 85 eb BII, 2.8, 5spd. We were on on way back home from a swap meet in Packwood, Wa. We were traveling behind a 3/4 ton chevy with a camper and towing a boat up the backside of White Pass; most of which is a 4-6% grade. It was pretty slow going, I really couldn't pass the truck with the 2.8. Then all of the sudden we seen smoke, immediately the truck pulled over. We pulled along side and ask if we could be of help. We diagnosed the problem being a blown atf line. Neither one of us had anything to repair it, we were about 5 miles from the top were there was a gas station and phone. The guy wanted a ride to the top to use the phone, I gave him one offer better....to tow him to the top so he would not have to leave his family. This guy was so anti Ford, with his piss on Ford decal on the x-cab window he laughed. I said no joke. I pulled in front of the Ford hater, pulled my chain out and hooked us up. Of course I pulled the lever back into low range and took off. Before we new it we were at the top of the Pass, we actually almost hit 25. This guys jaw dropped and eyes were big as silver dollars when I actually started to pull him.
I really love stories like this, especially when they involve a Ford hater or an idiot.....:icon_cheers:

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Many years ago, my wife and I had a 85 eb BII, 2.8, 5spd. We were on on way back home from a swap meet in Packwood, Wa. We were traveling behind a 3/4 ton chevy with a camper and towing a boat up the backside of White Pass; most of which is a 4-6% grade. It was pretty slow going, I really couldn't pass the truck with the 2.8. Then all of the sudden we seen smoke, immediately the truck pulled over. We pulled along side and ask if we could be of help. We diagnosed the problem being a blown atf line. Neither one of us had anything to repair it, we were about 5 miles from the top were there was a gas station and phone. The guy wanted a ride to the top to use the phone, I gave him one offer better....to tow him to the top so he would not have to leave his family. This guy was so anti Ford, with his piss on Ford decal on the x-cab window he laughed. I said no joke. I pulled in front of the Ford hater, pulled my chain out and hooked us up. Of course I pulled the lever back into low range and took off. Before we new it we were at the top of the Pass, we actually almost hit 25. This guys jaw dropped and eyes were big as silver dollars when I actually started to pull him.
I really love stories like this, especially when they involve a Ford hater or an idiot.....:icon_cheers:
I agree, its amazing how many people out there hate Fords, and especially the little Bronco 2's and the Rangers. Little do they know these little trucks are pretty damn capable and very under-rated and overlooked. I just picked up my 84 Bronco 2 a month ago and well my other truck has been sitting in the driveway ever since. I don't know what it is but the Bronco 2 and the Ford Ranger have always been fun vehicles to drive. The Bronco 2 not quite like the 84 ranger I had, just fills that empty void somewhat. Still wish I could track down my old 84 ranger knowing now what I didn't know back when I sold it about the carburetor and computer bypasses and repairs.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
And talk.about a babe magnet every time we go wheeling my trucks full of girls. My buddies have the loud pipes big tires and new trucks but there is just something about a Bronco the women love! :icon_cheers:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
And talk.about a babe magnet every time we go wheeling my trucks full of girls. My buddies have the loud pipes big tires and new trucks but there is just something about a Bronco the women love! :icon_cheers:
I've noticed the same as well. I get more looks form women driving the Bronco 2 than any other vehicle I've owned.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
how many more bumpers are you going to ruin before you realize it is retarded to pull from your stock bumper....

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
well I am building a new bumper now. At the moment I didnt have a new bumper done and I still don't but I have two parts rangers at home that have perfectly good bumpers so I will continue to use stock bumpers until I have my new one built. The stock bumper actually held up better than anyone predicted.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
how many more bumpers are you going to ruin before you realize it is retarded to pull from your stock bumper....
I believe it would have been more retarded for me to pull with the axle because besides the bumper I had no other place to hook to besides the bumper. And what's wrong with tearing up a bumper or two? I bought the bronco to off road so messing it up a little isn't a big deal to me.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
And so your buddy is obviously not that bright. Why would you even attempt anything like that knowing your front drive shaft is sitting at home? What an idiot.

Well in his defense he did try to go around the hole but because of his big massive paper weight truck he slid in. Also his drive shaft isn't at home... it is in pieces on a trail because he shattered it trying to pull a buddy out :icon_rofl:
. It is funny I talk crap about his dodge but I am a dodge fanatic myself... what has my ford done to me :icon_confused:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I'm not a fan of Dodge Trucks with Automatic Transmissions but I really can't say anything bad about them otherwise, I had a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and loved it up until a local shop replaced the clutch and throwout bearing and f'd it up to the point where it vibrated so bad that it ruined the bearings in everything connected to it. They refused to fix it, and wanted me to pay an additional $760 for them to tear it apart and find what the problem was. I said hell no, drove it around until the bearings all went out and then told them to come get it and they could have it back, was buying it from them, it was a great truck but after that I was totally done with them.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Yeah his 96 dodge 2500 is a tank. It has taken a beating and still kicking. I have a question for anyone that may know but some of my buddies have convinced him that even though his truck is missing the front drive shaft if he puts the truck into 4 low it locks up the two rear wheels. Is this true? I know nothing about what 4wd does to the rear. I know in the front it would require lockers or a "non" open differential to lock the two tires together. So is it true or are they just talking out of their butts?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
If you engage the 4WD system in low range it just uses the gear reduction in the transfer case to give you a lower gear ratio and more torque. It DOES NOT lock the rear wheels together, that is called a posi-trac or a locking rear differential, it has nothing to do with the transfer case lever position, its a completely separate and optional install component.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
That's what i was thinking

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
You would have been correct. Low range doesn't mean anything about locking a rear or front differential completely different parts involved.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Nothing surprises me with the old b2's. A few years ago I had an incident with a tree punching through the firewall, tearing the harness to shreds and destroying the computer. Much to everyones surprise it kept running. I continued running trails for another three or four hours and then another 75 miles to get home. The hills required a fair amount of gear changing but it got me home. I miss that truck, it always got me home regardless of what happened.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Nothing surprises me with the old b2's. A few years ago I had an incident with a tree punching through the firewall, tearing the harness to shreds and destroying the computer. Much to everyones surprise it kept running. I continued running trails for another three or four hours and then another 75 miles to get home. The hills required a fair amount of gear changing but it got me home. I miss that truck, it always got me home regardless of what happened.
I agree, I had an 84 Ford Ranger 4x2, 2.8L automatic. It had its share of problems and not knowing about the computer and the fixes I've learned on this forum I sold the truck but even in its worst state it always managed to get me home, it never once left me stranded anywhere. It was my first vehicle, my graduation present from my grandparents. Its sad not having it around and have been wishing I could find it and get it back.