•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

I hate to say I think I know the answer

barbefunkoramaque

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Now that my ranger seems to be running well I turned back to the 89 Bronco II 2.9 4x4 5 speed.

I was in the middle of flushing the engine when we talked about this last as the previous owner or the tow shop I bought it from poured engine flush in and didn't drain it.

Anyway I got past the first flush with sea foam solvent and the oil pressure got better... a lot of crap came out. I cleaned the valve covers of the 1/4 of sludge build up and removed the rocker shafts and actually just fluid and air flushed the weep holes til they seemed clean. All thats reinstalled and I backed off and readjusted the valves starting from 1.25 turns from zero. I have 4 quarts of oil and new filter and a quart of atf I was planning to run before the Valve covers went back on.

I decided to start it up to be sure it was a little quieter (they should quiet down if the lifter manage to get oiled better I hope. But noticed something strange.

On the right head, near cylinder 6, where the threaded hole for the Valve cover faster goes in... it spews exhaust I believe. oil and exhaust.

I am fucked right?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
On the right head, near cylinder 6, where the threaded hole for the Valve cover faster goes in... it spews exhaust I believe. oil and exhaust.
Strange..

Which bolt hole?

Make sure it's not an exhaust leak between the manifold and head on that cylinder. That could be blowing oil running off the top of the head making it appear as such.

Pete

barbefunkoramaque

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Strange..

Which bolt hole?

Make sure it's not an exhaust leak between the manifold and head on that cylinder. That could be blowing oil running off the top of the head making it appear as such.

Pete
The lower bolt hole. The separation between the manifold and the head is at the top. Its the rear most lower valve cover fastener hole near number 6.

It spews like Peter North and if I stick the screw in it it goes away.

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Use a short allen head set screw, with some sort of silicone sealant, to plug the hole? And shorten the valve cover bolt accordingly?

CraigK

barbefunkoramaque

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Use a short allen head set screw, with some sort of silicone sealant, to plug the hole? And shorten the valve cover bolt accordingly?

CraigK
Thats a brillant solution. Had to read it twice but I know what your saying. However, I am sure that it NOT supposed to be going on and since leaks, either gasket or head find the path of least resistance I feel maybe it would just pop up elsewhere.

I wish I had kept my gaskets from my Ranger head job I did last month so I could look and see where the likely leak is.

i THINK i AM SCREWED AS frankly I will not spend any more money on this Bronco. Not like 600 worth of heads kinda money.

If anyone else has any ideas of what this might be let me know.

Duncan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thats a brillant solution. Had to read it twice but I know what your saying. However, I am sure that it NOT supposed to be going on and since leaks, either gasket or head find the path of least resistance I feel maybe it would just pop up elsewhere.

I wish I had kept my gaskets from my Ranger head job I did last month so I could look and see where the likely leak is.

i THINK i AM SCREWED AS frankly I will not spend any more money on this Bronco. Not like 600 worth of heads kinda money.

If anyone else has any ideas of what this might be let me know.
Its sounds like a simpleton sollution, but JB Weld. Everywhere, all over the place, just squeeze that shit in holes left and right... IF you are going to give up on it otherwise....

Ive done it on an old Mustang straight-six. Still runs last I heard.