•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

i need serious help!!!

bigdaddyhognuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i have a 1984 bronco II, big ideas on chopping it, fun for the whole family..........yeah right. ok someone at some point transplanted from a 91 explorer the 4.0, A4LD, and the ugly dash board. on my way home from purchasing this awsome vehical ( aprox. 500 miles) the trans fried. i got it to our local trans shop were they explained that the computer and wiring harnest for this trans was not in this truck. so even if i rebuild/replace this trans it will still not work correctly ultimatly leading to another burnt tranny. If anyone is willing to give any suggestions i would be greatful.
thank you

igiveup

Reaction score
Hello

Read the A4LD http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137972 and http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146956 . I am starting a project where I use a 94 (4.0) A4ld trany with an 85 valve body. This makes the trany work without a computer. Use this site and explorer.com for lots of info on these tranys.

Now is your 4.0 still worked by computer? If your computer is still there you might need a wiring harness that works the trany. If not the look at getting a 85 VB and rebuilding it to work you newer trany.

I hope this help/confused you a bit. I have done lots of reading on this subject and I am starting this project when the weather warms up a bit more.

igiveup

bigdaddyhognuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ok

i've now talked to 3 tranny shops and they all say they will not do the rebuild with the different vb. i am pretty mechanically inclined and have bassic tools but have never seen the inside of a transmission. is a rebuild something that a do it yourselfer should attempt?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Teardown and reassembly is not very difficult (though it can be very messy); it's MUCH more difficult to R/R the transmission assembly (IMO). Diagnosis and inspection is where the hard part is. You'll have the best idea about that.

In particular, make sure you know what "fried" before you remove anything. For instance, tearing into the transmission is a complete waste of time and money if the torque converter broke.

bigdaddyhognuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
frank's transmission in coldwater mi sais that od is toast. wich confuses me because without the ecm it never would have shifted into od. he then explained that i could drive as a 3 speed as long as i didn't plan on long trips. that was 2 days ago and now about every other time i take off from a complete stop the truck goes over 3 grand before shifting into 2nd. at this point i think i would like to just like to set it on fire. the guy i bought it from is giving me $500.00 back for my troubles.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Check engine vacuum, and make sure the vacuum modulator holds vacuum, before considering the transmission. Late shifts may be due to a (cheap) blown modulator.

What, precisely, is wrong with OD?

Do you not have a torque converter clutch harness? If not, no A4LD is going to do well. You'll burn every one of them up. It needs to be wired.

I'd be quite concerned that there are other areas of stupidity in this truck. The previous owner sounds either shady or S T U P I D. I think he tried to pass off a bad retrofit on an unsuspecting buyer.

mhughes165

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
yes, he should have swapped the trans harness and proper auto to work behind the 4.0, just the simple fact that the 2.8 a4ld that it sounds like it has just wont handle the power no matter what. i would suggest either acquiring a 4.0 A4LD transmission along with wiring harness etc and then go from there. or, this would be a oppritune time to look at the possibilities of a 5spd swap with the money he is refunding you

Simple_serf

Reaction score
yes, he should have swapped the trans harness and proper auto to work behind the 4.0, just the simple fact that the 2.8 a4ld that it sounds like it has just wont handle the power no matter what. i would suggest either acquiring a 4.0 A4LD transmission along with wiring harness etc and then go from there. or, this would be a oppritune time to look at the possibilities of a 5spd swap with the money he is refunding you
An 84 would have had either the c3 or c5...There was no 2.8 a4ld.

Personally I'd swap this to an m5od (I HATE autos), or I'd try to swap a c4/c5 behind it. The hell with the a4ld.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
There was a 1985 A4LD for 2.8Ls, but the original poster said it had a 4.0L and A4LD (presumably that came with that 4.0L). I doubt that's the original transmission.

Even a 4.0L A4LD is going to have trouble if the torque converter is never locked. It's going to overheat and blow up.

bigdaddyhognuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
this is actually a 4.0 a4ld he just didn't change the ecm or the harnest over when he did the swap. i have strongly considerd going back to a 5 speed which is what this truck had origionaly i just wasn't sure of the time or money involved in getting all of the clutch ass. the drive shafts ect ect ect

mhughes165

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
this is actually a 4.0 a4ld he just didn't change the ecm or the harnest over when he did the swap. i have strongly considerd going back to a 5 speed which is what this truck had origionaly i just wasn't sure of the time or money involved in getting all of the clutch ass. the drive shafts ect ect ect
well if someone can chime in as to the length of the m50d(which is the trans u would want) u may not even have to change drivehsafts if its the same length, just get the hydraulics, clutch pressure plate, clutch disc, flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing. really its pretty simple todo the 5spd swap.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
As long as everything is 4WD, the A4LD and M5OD are the same length.

There is a retrofit issue with manual shift transfer cases, due to different shift levers. Electrical ones are exactly the same.

The brake pedal is different, and obviously you need all the clutch parts.

I'd still get the correct harness, since I'm willing to make bets that the neutral switch isn't hooked up correctly and the computer bitches about hard 67s every time it's probed. A sign of this is "hunting idle."

bigdaddyhognuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i do have a manual shift overdrive. the truck seems to idle fine. i do appretiate all of your guys help. i don't meen to seem like a retard but i'll probobly keep asking questions. like short of buying a parts truck were would be the best place to go to find a trans?

bigdaddyhognuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
the other question i have is if i can find a 2wd tranny will my transfercase bolt on to it?

bigdaddyhognuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i'm not sure i'm just stabbing in the dark. the local salvage yards each have several 2wd 5speed trucks laying around.

bigdaddyhognuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
never mind someone just came into my store asked about the bronco out front i told them it was mine they offerd me $1000.00 so i sold it. made 300 bucks on the deal.

grnrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Can't beat a deal like that!! FWIW, and after the fact,...no, a 2wd trans will not work, the tail shaft is a lot longer. Now if your old output shaft is OK, you could take them both apart and make a good one...