•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

i think i bit off more then i could chew...

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
ok so i recently bought a 92, 2 door,4.0 exploder,5speed,auto hubs,eletronic 4wd. i want to lift this bad boy cheap, i thought about makein my own shackles and useing 2 inch daystar coil spacers.. i just want to run 31's. i plan on gettin manual hubs, and tossing my auto pos's. i also wanted to swap in the manual BW1350 outta my 89 ranger.. i need ideas on how to fit my 31's for cheap, besides cutting my fenders. i want to keep the center of gravity low too.:icon_thumby: whats everyones thoughts?

RebelAssaultTruk

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
can u fabricate anything? id say leaf over axle in the rear, then match your front as best you can with it. id say if your going to spend some coin at all, get coils. either 6" lift or 8" lift like im running....but the drop brackets you can make yourself if you know how to weld n cut. u said you can make shackles, how far does your fab knowledge go?

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
can u fabricate anything? id say leaf over axle in the rear, then match your front as best you can with it. id say if your going to spend some coin at all, get coils. either 6" lift or 8" lift like im running....but the drop brackets you can make yourself if you know how to weld n cut. u said you can make shackles, how far does your fab knowledge go?
i can fab somewhat but im limited by $$

RebelAssaultTruk

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
yea...well look at it like this....for something done right, even if its you fabbing everything, your going to have to spend some money. its the only way id trust doing the job right. the money you could save would be by doing the work yourself or calling in favors or something to obtain materials...but money is kind of an essential factor. if you have a welder, thats a good start.....all your cutting equipment...metal shldnt be that expensive. i pay 60 cents a lb. for steel

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
thats very true. ive been thinkin of just slapping on my 31's and cutting the crap outta my fenders....

5.0B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5L
If all you need is room for your 31's - get a 2" body lift spacer set from James Duff. Most of your weight and center of gravity will stay low (except for the 2-3 inches your tires raise everything).

BDAB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
00, 99, 00
Vehicle
Ford, Ford, Bui
Engine Size
V10, 5.4L, 3.8L v6
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
trim the bottom 12" from the inner slash guard behind the front tires. I cleared 31's no problem and had no rubbing or clearance issues with the stock gay looking alloy swept 5 spoke wheels with 31x10.50/15 Yoko Geolanders

fordmandan87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87/92/97/11
Vehicle
Ford×3/Freightl
Engine Size
/5.0/4.0/7.3/DD15
no lift required just put em on no ribbun on mine at stock height

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
if they do happen to rub look in the technical library for the washer lift. i got 1 1/2" out of my washer lift in front.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
I have 32x11.5 BFG AT's on my 91 2 door and they just barely rub. 31x10.5's wouldn't rub at all. Don't know about the newer body style though, aren't the stock tires near that size?

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
Lifting the xplodas isnt bad you can find some ext radius arms on clist cheap and jeep coils if you flip the rear axle thats a big inc. Shit you prolly get over 4" of lift total I think not sure mines pretty high ill put pics up later I just put ext shackles in took me 20 min and no diff really lol but now you can really see the leafe from behind the truck tho lol