•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Idles but throttle Doesnt raise RPMs

hunterh2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
It seems to be another road block. does anyone have pictures of a 2.8 or something that would help me in guidance to what hoses are hocked up to what. I have what i think should be hooked up to the carb but it seems that there is no power to my engine. It Runs and will Idle. but it seems that engine only wants to idle and that even if i give it throttle it wont raise any RPMs. When i drive the thing it has to be very slowely (like 5 mph). It reverses well. but unless i hold down the gas peddle to the floor it will die when i change gears. full throttle just doesn't make any difference to if the engines raises in RPMs ...

Last edited:

Car Enthusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
check your throttle linkage, my 2.9 broke a little tab off and the linkage came off of the throttle body

hunterh2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My linkages are all working but they just done open things far enough. They open like normal(but still not fully) when the vacuum hose isn't connected to the choke thermostat(coil thing). but when i connect the hose it keeps the butterfly open all the way and theres nothing to close it. its like it has a reverse effect and springs it open instead of closed.

hunterh2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Still need help with this... At a dead end Here. thanks

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
The various linkages and setup on these carbs is kinda touchy, and it sounds like yours is miles off. Can you post some pictures of your set up from both sides and we can go from there. Other option would be to find yourself the carb setup information.

hunterh2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ill post some photos today this afternoon. Really appreciate the help.

hunterh2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Setup of Carb pictures.

Hey, These are pics of the carb and what I have hooked up so far. Like i said it idles but has no power when i give it throttle. It sounds like its sucking air but the rpms aren't raising it seems. The jets aren't clogged but im thinking im missing a hose or something needs to be replaced. please help thanks.

Numbered Questions:
1. Is there a hose that is supposed to be connected to this port or is this a breathing port of some type?
2. I understand things like this need to be replaced but could this be the problem even if i had it connected and taped with electrical tape?

Thanks Again for the Help

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
try this on the choke trermostat, losen the 3 screws and turn it probably to the right till the chok opens. about the other two im not sure if theres supposed to be anything there. and that wire wont make any differance if its just wrabed and taped back together. or better yet soldered. i could take some pics of mine if you want me to just pm me.

RangerMan64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Number 1 is your fuel vapor charcoal canister, on my 2.9 it is capped off with a knob looking thing. Try putting something over the hole.

hunterh2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Going to work on the b2 this afternoon. Will try putting something over the hole and spraying starter fluid around the carb not in it. To check for a vacuum leak. I'll keep you posted

B2 Addict

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Number 1 is your fuel vapor charcoal canister, on my 2.9 it is capped off with a knob looking thing. Try putting something over the hole.
Yep...and the cap that is supposed to be there is kinda shaped like a mushroom & looks like it acts as a "breather" of some sort. I assume it is there to keep the canister from filling with water.

#1 & #2 unfortunately will not have anything to do with your problem I don't believe, they work together to release excess fuel vapors.