•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Ignition Issue

thejaxx

Reaction score
I've been having an issue since I bought my bronco II early last year. That would be hitting a bump, bumping the ignition cylinder, etc would cause the vehicle to stall.

Its a 1989 Bronco II 2wheel 2.9v.

It got to the point where the wipers weren't working unless I turned the key just a bit, and now if I get the wipers on, the turn signals, heater, etc stop working.

So I went and bought a new key ignition set, pull the old one out and put the new one in. Still did the same thing.

I pulled it back out and was looking inside and noticed what appeared to be scoring marks (scratches) as if someone had used a screw driver to start it before. I could tell the old cylinder wasn't original and the previous owner did tell me someone had broken the steering column to steal it years ago.

What I saw were two teeth on the gear in the back of the column chipped and worn down, and judging by the way the small round gear on the cylinder goes into the steering column, those teeth missing in the back were part of the starting/running issues. I can tell its pot metal and I believe the gear in the back may be an ignition actuator?

If that is not correct, please let me know the correct name for the part and where I might get one. Holding the key in the on position, driving, and shifting gears is getting frustrating.

RobbieD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Have you looked at the electrical part of the ignition switch? It's lower down on the steering column. The electrical switch's metal case has prongs which hold the plastic-mounted guts in place; it is prone to come apart over time, and can cause the problems you describe. A lot of times a loose electrical switch can be repaired by rebending the retaining prongs or by running nylon tie-straps around it. Just something else you can check for, and good luck.

Oh, and welcome to TRS.

thejaxx

Reaction score
I did check that out and things seemed good. I wish I could find a good pic of it but right now I can't take one as its at the wife's parents house right now.

The piece i'm speaking of is in the back of the cylinder hole:

Looking down inside of it you'll see a piece that comes down about half way and has teeth on it. The gear on the end of the key cylinder meshes with it. If I push it down with a screwdriver (down towards the bottom of the steering column, the vehicle will start). But its missing teeth so won't catch and stay on.

And thanks for the welcome. Sorry didn't say new, was stressed out last night since I can't drive my b2. :)

RobbieD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
It sounds the part that you're describing is called the "lock drive gear" (sorry; your pic ain't showing up in the post). I'm not sure where to score one. I doubt a Ford dealership would have it, or even be able to get it, being so old of a part but it may be worth checking.
I think that I'd try to find a good locksmith, to see if they have a source for such small parts; or just go the junkyard route.

thejaxx

Reaction score
I ended up taking it down to the ford dealership, they looked and actually were able to get the part. Took a day from Memphis.

Got it installed and now it stays on after starting it.

I did find the issue when I would bang on the steering column and it would shut off (same as hitting a bump). That was the switch. Seems two tabs on the column block are broken so it wasn't holding it down snug. A zip tie took care of that.

Only issue I seem to still have is when I go to slow down, meaning stepping on the brake and then downshifting or even going into neutral, the vehicle will stall. Would that have anything to do with the switch?

RobbieD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
While it's "possible" that the remaining stall condition "could" be related to the ignition switch, I'd be inclined to check into the general tuning state of the engine first. Checking for engine computer codes, and then the old MkI eyeball on the plugs, plug wires, filters, and that everything underhood in general is in good order.

You have made some great progress on it, though. Congratulations!

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
Bringing up an old thread here, but I think I have the same problem. My wipers/radio/cruise etc will cut out when I hit a bump on the road, but if I adjust the ignition switch they will come back on... So if I understand what happened here, I should

1) look underneath and see if there is something to zip tie to hold the switch down?

2) if that doesn't do it, I need a "Lock Drive Gear"...

Correct?

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
In closing for my situation, on the 1990 Bronco at least the ignition switch is down the steering column above the brake pedal... Kinda a pain to get to but I replaced it (zip ties won't do it on this model) and all is running well again.