•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

im worried my BII is running hotter than it should

Lukas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I recently bought a used 90' bronco II, i have heard about the older models before 89' where the heads cracked from over heating...i know mine is a 90' but im still worried my engine still runs hotter than it should. and what also raised my attention, was that the previous owner had stop-leak in the radiator. even if the "over heating/headcracking" isnt the problem. i still want be precautious and help lower my engine temp. and make cooling more easier for my vehicle. i have considered buying a new radiator, thermostat and engine oil cooler, but im not sure on what is the best or what is needed or not..what do you think i should do?

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
If in dout, replace the radiator and back flush your cooling system and start fresh with a new t-stat.As for a oil cooler Iam from Arizona were our summers are brutal and we use them.

Lukas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well what is the difference between a regular flush and a reverse? Or is that a stupid question haha..I live in NC and we have pretty brutal summers as well as extreme winters, I'm not sure If an oil cooler is needed, but how difficult are they to install? And Im definately replacing my radiator

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Not sure about your cooling system but I saw your from Hickory, NC and I just wanted to say welcome to TRS from another Hickory, NC member!!

Lukas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
aha well thanks! im pretty happy, i dont see too many broncos in the hickory area!, i dont want a car everyone has!

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
yea theres not many Bii's around here. My neighbor has a 1st gen Bii and it looks pretty good. Good to know theres other members in Hickory now!!

Lukas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
haha yeah, most of whats around here is explorers (when it comes to RBV's)

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Back flush with a Prestone flush kit,install it as per the instrutions and good luck!

Lukas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks guys! I flushed it today more than a couple times and I got some pretty nasty stuff come out, now I am running lower than normal temp. Most of the time

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Did you use the Prestone kit? I usually just drain and put distilled water in, let run. drain, again add distilled water...drain and then coolant.

Summers here are brutal. Do the Engine Oil cooling fans really work?

Lukas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Nah I used peak or something like that, I put my water hose in the hole and turned it on and ran the engine with it for awhile, and then used the chemical treatment, filled with water and ran for 10 minutes , flushed then coolant