•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

improved headlights

lmtpop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
looking for suggestions for improved headlights and or increased alternator power. something low buck

Plummkrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
For the alternator, you can upgrade to the ford 3G. I did it about a month ago and it works great. plenty of power even with everything going. Search the forums, plenty of how to info.

As far as headlights, you can maybe do a heavy duty wiring harness like LMC sells. Also heard you can upgrade to the 9007 bulbs from the 9004, supposed to be a bit brighter.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Only thing on a larger alternator, why bother unless it covers the amperage draw of the vehicle.

Figure out what kind of amps you need add the 65 amps for running the basic truck and then add 20% for safety and future expansion.
If Ford put one out then get it from a JY or new but it is a waste of time if you put one in and find out you still can’t put out a good bass note !

Head Lights… I am not a fan of the HID route most people take.
I used the H4 55/100 watt Phillips Bulbs and an HD Harness made for 100 watt lamps.
Remember if you go with a bulb, if you increase the output of the lights, i.e. make them brighter, it will take more current; HIDs use less current but cost more.

I do not have a larger alternator (YET) and I think the light could put out more but for now and until I get the new tunes in place I will be satisfied.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
for HID's you will need to switch a nonsealed headlight... I have the housings from LMC and LOVE them. SO much better quality than the cheap eBay ones. yes, they are more expensive but you get what you pay for.

HID's... personally I get mine from offroadgears.com

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
if you can't afford HIDs or your local laws won't allow it (yes they are illegal pretty much everywhere, but some states don't enforce it)... the bulbs that come with the LMC housings help A LOT over stock light. Plus you can get silverstar ultras for it.

Let me warn you.... if you don't get the heavy duty wiring for your headlights or make one of your own, you will melt the dimmer switch in the steering column with the 9004 bulbs and stock wiring.

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
An alternator has 3 "fields", this is where the "extra" power comes from, the fields are 3 separate windings in the case of the alternator.
The rotor gets power from the battery(voltage regulator) and when spinning it "induces" current in the fields, the faster it spins the more current there is, this current is in AC volts, the current is passed thru diodes to change it to DC volts.

That's a simplified "how it works"

What happens as alternators get older is that 1 or 2 field circuits fail, usually the diodes.
Sign of this is head lights dimming at idle, this is never "normal", lol.

Normal voltage at battery with key off is 12.6volts, below 12.3 volts means battery is almost done, time to shop for a sale :)
With engine idling at 750rpm it should be 13.6 volts at battery, 1 volt above battery voltage, this 1 volt maintains the batteries charge, just after starting the engine voltage will go up as much as 2 volts, 14.6v, to recharge battery, this will only last a minute or two.
Turn on all electrical devices, head lights, fan blower, cigarette lighter, radio, anything you can think of.
Voltage at battery should drop then come back up to 13.6 volts, that's the voltage regulator working
Raise RPMs to 2,000(approx.) voltage should go up then stabilize at 13.6-13.8 volts
If voltage is lower than 13.5 volts at idle then 1 field is bad.
If voltage is down close to 13 volts or lower at idle then 2 fields are probably bad.

Generally the human eye can notice a 1 voltage change in light output at the head lights.

This is for stock systems of course, if you add a sub woofer or 1,000watt light bar then stock alternator might not be enough at idle, lol.

As Scrambler82 said there is no benefit to a higher output alternator unless you have changed the electrical power requirements in the vehicle.
It won't recharge the battery faster, the voltage regulator decides that, a 60amp and 90 amp alternator output the same voltage at 50amps of current draw(assuming all fields are working) it isn't until you get above 60amps that the 90amp alternator would be a benefit.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
I have found some H4 conversion bulbs at Summit that still have the outward appearance of the stock style bulbs. There is a relay harness kit from LMC that is a good idea because running the full headlight voltage through the stock lightswitch has torched trucks with even the stock bulbs.

I could make a very fufilling hobby of busting out HID headlights with a ball bat. OEM or otherwise, I hate meeting them. :annoyed: