•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Is It Possible

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
So I had driven my 1990 BII stock 4ALD Automatic Transmission over to Tulsa, OK yesterday. It was in the mid to upper 90's. Roughly after about 200 miles I noticed something on my rear window. Now I have 3:73 LS gears and was running about 65 MPH. In another 40 miles or so my transmission started to slip. As it turns out it was transmission fluid on the rear window. I was at a place I could pull over and check the Transmission dip stick and nothing. I went and got some mercon transmission fluid and brought it up to the hot level and drove it home another 15 miles without any issue what so ever. It shifted as it should. This morning when I checked the fluid it was where it should be cold and there was nothing on the floor. So is it possible that it was so hot outside that the transmission simply boiled over spewing fluid out the vent? I remember once after the BII had sat for awhile and when driven mud wasps had built a nest over the vent stopping it up and causing transmission fluid to spew out when it got hot.

Thoughts

Dennis

Last edited:

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
It must have been heat, as it has not dripped a drop since that day. Going in for a transmission filter change and flush in the next couple of weeks. Shifting just like new. The flush should flush out both the factory transmission cooler as well as the after market auxiliary transmission cooler of any blockage I hope.

Go figure

Dennis